The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Elusive Brown Belly Push Pull
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 10:11 am    

Hello, all you Emmons lovers. I recently acquired an early 1967 Bolt-On with factory brown flocking on the undercarriage. The guitar is nearly all factory original. The guitar is a tone monster and plays as smooth as a modern all pull guitar. I was lucky to have Billy Knowles of Steel Guitar East help me give her a tune up.

Neither of the guitars endplates are stamped with a serial/Invoice number and I'm curious as to why that may be?

I've also heard rumors about these brown belly rosewood/mahogany mica covered cabinets may be made from mahogany wood? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

After doing an extended forum search, It seems only a handful of these "Brown Belly's," exist. Of the few that I know of, Dicky Overbey once owned and played a brown belly bolt-on nearly identical to this guitar. I'm on a personal mission to shed some light for the Emmons guys in efforts to help produce a well documented thread exclusive to the "Brown Belly" Push Pull. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

Last edited by Cody Stewart on 29 Nov 2022 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 11:43 am    

Mahogany body. I'm interested.
Any place you can get a look at the wood?

Should be pretty easy to tell if it's NOT maple at least.

Maybe they flocked them brown to denote they're Mahogany?
Once flocked and built you can't really tell anymore.

Cool guitar, either way.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 12:59 pm    

Watching to learn 👀

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 1:23 pm     The Elusive Brown Belly Push Pull

Cody, here are a few photos of one that I once owned (and restored) a few years ago. It didn't have a serial number either. It now resides in Texas with a new owner.

This guitar was factory equipped with Kluson "Waffle Back" tuners, which is also pretty rare. I'm afraid I can't remember if the cabinet was mahogany or maple.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Marty Neer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 8:35 pm     Walnut p/p

Cody sent you a PM. Marty

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 4:36 am    

The only two mahogany body PP's I used were 66 bolt ons. They were cannons ! After some thought I'm not so sure about the flocking. Greg Leitz had one and mine was just two serial numbers away from his. We used to swap guitars on fly dates when he was in NYC or I was in LA.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 6:40 am    

Man, those horns are cool. Of all the Emmons "Originals" I've had, I've never owned a Bolt-On. I have an awesome '69 Rosewood that was owned by Lynn Stafford and Bryan Adams previously that I just love but, I REALLY want a Bolt-On as well.

I have no idea about the wood used on those Brown-Bellies but, that's an awesome horn for sure Cody.

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:18 am    

Cody, your guitar is a maple cabinet. There’s one or two places where the flocking is thin enough to see the maple. Either way, it’s a very, very nice guitar and I hope you enjoy it.

Btw, I bought that guitar from the original owner’s son. He told me the story of why it had no invoice or serial number. I’ll send you a message.

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 4:55 am    

Thank you everyone for the insight. I believe I've confirmed that this guitar indeed has a maple body. I'm very curious to see more brown belly guitars. After some extensive forum research, I only know of 5 brown belly D-10 bolt-ons's Those include:

-A Rosewood D-10 Bolt: Dicky Overbey's Rosie
-The walnut mica D-10 Bolt Lynn Stafford restored pictured above
-A D-10 rosewood mica brown belly Bolt once owned by Weldon now in the care of Tommy Cass
-Forum Member Tom Quinn has a mahogany mica Brown Belly D-10 Bolt
-Then there is the mahogany mica D-10 Bolt that I have.

It seems that there surly would be more in existence and I would love to see them and know about them. My curiosity includes; D-10's, S-10's, SD-10's, Bolt-On's and Cuttail's.

I was hoping perhaps Herb Stiner would chime in here with his vast knowledge.

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 6:15 am    

Posting to revive this tread in hopes to generate more info and history.

I also concluded, some time ago that my brown belly guitar is indeed made from hard rock maple planks.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 4:00 pm    

I know one thing: I have never had an Emmons -- or any steel -- that sounds nearly as good as this old war horse...

[/img]

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 12:17 pm    

Cody, as clean as that guitar is, it may have been rebuilt in last decade. For a 58 year old guitar, it’s really clean but it may just be that clean. I’ve changed 2 pushpulls to brown bellies that were originally black. But no matter whether it was rebuilt or not, it’s absolutely awesome guitar. I myself prefer the bolt on sound over all others.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2023 12:20 pm    

Just saw this is a two year old post, lol

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2023 12:00 pm    

Henry, interesting! As of present, I’m only aware of 6 Brown Flocked guitars that came from the factory. The one I own has factory original flocking as I confirmed it from the original owner. Do you recall if the guitars you reflocked were both bolt on’s?

For anyone who cares, here’s is a current list of the D10 Brown Belly bolt on’s I’ve cataloged and what history I know of them:

1. A rosewood mica (no serial number) restored by Lynn Stafford, currently owned by Bill Price in, TX

2. A mahogany mica (no serial number) originally owned by David & Bobby Boggs currently owned by me in Michigan.

3. A mahogany mica (invoice 2605) owned by Tom Quinn.

4. A rosewood mica, (Rosie) marked; (SR 2770) assuming that’s an invoice number. Guitar is allegedly made from mahogany planks opposed to maple. Assumed original owner: Larry Sasser. Formerly owned by Mike Cass, Herb Steiner, Bobby Flores, Dicky Overbey, Tommy Detamore and currently in the care of Dicky’s grandson Caleb Lindley in, TX.

5. A rosewood mica (1060D) owned by Mike Harrington in Michigan

6. A rosewood mica (1062D) allegedly originally owned by Weldon Myrick currently owned by Don Hemmer in, TX.

If anyone else is aware of more factory brown flocked Emmons guitars, please make your voice heard here. Inquiring minds are waiting.

Respectfully,
CS

Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2023 2:36 pm    

I have 1053 D; I believe it to be made in 1967. I bought it from the second owner who said he had it for 40 years. I'm quite sure the brown flocking is original, because believe me when I say it had never been rebuilt! Laughing It came from the factory a nine pedal guitar, and I believe it had either two, or zero levers from the factory. All four levers are Emmons, but the install had some issues. One of the brackets for LKL was in a weird spot too close to the pedal stop bar, and LKR was actually a left moving knee assembly that had been made to work. It's in great shape now, thanks to several kind folks (namely Clem Schmitz, Tommy Detamore, Lynn Stafford and Billy Knowles). I love the guitar, it is a blast to play. Here's a clip a buddy of mine took from a gig a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/FEmvAN99Zx0

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2023 3:18 pm    

Geoff,

Thanks so much for telling us about your guitar. Would it be possible for you to add some pics of the topside and undercarriage to this thread so we can all enjoy it? That will make the count officially 7 and that’s still very few.

Kind regards,
CS

Geoff Queen

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2023 6:28 pm    

Hey Cody, I'll try to make that happen.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 7:50 pm    

Cody Stewart wrote:
Henry, interesting! As of present, I’m only aware of 6 Brown Flocked guitars that came from the factory. The one I own has factory original flocking as I confirmed it from the original owner. Do you recall if the guitars you reflocked were both bolt on’s?

For anyone who cares, here’s is a current list of the D10 Brown Belly bolt on’s I’ve cataloged and what history I know of them:

1. A rosewood mica (no serial number) restored by Lynn Stafford, currently owned by Bill Price in, TX

2. A mahogany mica (no serial number) originally owned by David & Bobby Boggs currently owned by me in Michigan.

3. A mahogany mica (invoice 2605) owned by Tom Quinn.

4. A rosewood mica, (Rosie) marked; (SR 2770) assuming that’s an invoice number. Guitar is allegedly made from mahogany planks opposed to maple. Assumed original owner: Larry Sasser. Formerly owned by Mike Cass, Herb Steiner, Bobby Flores, Dicky Overbey, Tommy Detamore and currently in the care of Dicky’s grandson Caleb Lindley in, TX.

5. A rosewood mica (1060D) owned by Mike Harrington in Michigan

6. A rosewood mica (1062D) allegedly originally owned by Weldon Myrick currently owned by Don Hemmer in, TX.

If anyone else is aware of more factory brown flocked Emmons guitars, please make your voice heard here. Inquiring minds are waiting.

Respectfully,
CS

Cody, very interested in your history of that particular guitar, #4 on your list above.

I acquired the guitar in the late 1990's from a steel guitarist in GA named Larry Keyt. It was in original shape but didn't have my copedent on it, and so I sent it to Mike Cass to put my setup on it. Mike never owned the instrument, per se; he only worked on it but allowed as how it might have been a "kit" guitar sent to Larry Sasser (provenance uncertain).

Mike sent it back to me and unopened I took it to a Johnny Bush gig and both Bush and fiddler Scott Moon (a forumite) allowed as how it was an incredibly loud and "ballsy" Emmons. At the time, Bobby Flores wanted my wraparound "Bill Johnson," but didn't have the bucks I wanted so he purchased the brown bolt-on from me. He later sold the bolt-on to Dicky Overbey to acquire the money to purchase the Johnson wrap from me. Dicky was playing an LDG Sho~Bud at the time but replaced it with "Rosie," as it became to be known, and Bobby F. bought the Johnson wrap with the proceeds from that sale, sometime around mid 2000, as I recall.

Cass told me that when withdrawing some wood from the front apron, the front apron of the guitar was mahogany at least. So probably there was at least some mahogany involved in the construction of the guitar. The guitar has changed hands in the last few years, and now may be in the possession of Tommy Detamore, Jack Phillips, or Caleb Lindley... they're all good friends of mine so I'm sure the horn is in good hands, regardless.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 10:35 am    

Hey Herb,

In a conversation with Mike Cass, he had told me he once owned Rosie. Perhaps he misspoke or I misinterpreted what he was telling me? I had a particular interest in that guitar based off the fact that when I purchased my brown belly, Rosie was the only other brown flocked guitar I was aware of. This was around the same time I reached out to you and many other regarding the presidents of that particular guitar. I’ve heard from multiple sources Larry was the original owner, so I just assumed it to be true. I’m very glad Caleb Is looking after it and I aspire to sit behind it some day. It’s no secret among those who know me well that Dicky is my all time biggest steel guitar hero.

Regarding Brown Belly’s, I’ve seen you mention in at least one thread that you’ve owned a few. If you see it fit, I would love to know more about them and if they were bolt on’s or cuttails etc… Hope you’re well my brother!