The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silly Question
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 1:53 pm    

Computer is an HP Pavilion 23 All in one. I changed hard drives, went from a 130 gig solid state to a 1T solid state. It seems to have slowed the computer down.. it that possible? thanks winston may forgot both hard drives were win10 pro

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 8:44 am    

Upgrading a primary disk from a small size to an almost 10x larger capacity won't speed things up! How do the specs compare for seek, read and write time and latency?

Did you save an image of the old drive and restore it onto the new drive? Or, is this s fresh install and reinstall of programs and settings?

Something else to consider is how much RAM you have in the computer. You might need to double it to get better performance. If you do, buy fast RAM in matched pairs.

Finally, is the hardware and Windows running as 32 or 64 bit? Everything will be slower on a 32 bit system these days.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

winston

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 7:01 am    

Wiz, I went from a 130 gig ss to a 1T ss. I cloned the 130 drive, put 2 partitions on the 1T, one partition is just for storage. It is 64 bit win10 pro. I was wondering if it takes more memory to run the 1T than the 130G. thanks for replying. winston may

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 7:37 am    

winston wrote:
Wiz, I went from a 130 gig ss to a 1T ss. I cloned the 130 drive, put 2 partitions on the 1T, one partition is just for storage. It is 64 bit win10 pro. I was wondering if it takes more memory to run the 1T than the 130G. thanks for replying. winston may

If the computer was not designed to work with that size drive and has insufficient RAM, and other circuit design constraints, the answer is yes. There will be choke points if the board and system expected to only use small SSDs. Add or replace the RAM. A 64 bit system can accept a ton of it. But, consult your owner's manual to see what the limit is for your model. Then increase the RAM to that amount. Buy faster RAM and remove the old wafers.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 9:29 am    

Something else is wrong. I've never seen a slowdown because disc/SSD storage size was increased.

My take its not memory.

What are the spec's on the new SSD. Brand/Model, M.2 (SATA or NVME) or 2.5" SSD.

I'm not a clone fan, seen too many problems with cloning. Doing a full disc image (backup) ALL PARTITIONS to a separate drive then restoring that to the new drive is safer.

What "storage" are you going to use the partition for? Don't use it for any type of backup or recovery. Only backup to some other drive/media. If you backup to the same physical drive and it fails, ALL data is lost.'

winston

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 3:13 pm    

Jack, The storage is just wave an mp3 files, I can't find the box for the ssd drive so I cannot answer your questions now. I will open the computer up and get the info tomorrow.

Wiz, the computer only has 4g of memory in it. thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 3:07 am    

4 GB of memory is inadequate for a 64 bit OS, but I don't think its the cause of slowdown with new SSD.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 4:49 am    

winston, there is a free download called Belarc Advisor that you can download and it will tell you more than you probably ever want to know about your computer, software, etc...

Hope it helps.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 10:45 am    

The age of your computer could be a problem also. The newest peripherals are being made to take advantage of increased processing power and Windows 11. Support for Windows 10 is winding down. Most machines more than 5 years old cannot be updated to Windows 11. If your machine cannot be updated to Windows 11, it may be time to consider a new computer. There are some great deals available right now.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 5:02 pm    

I have looked and found that the HP 23 series can be upgraded to a maximum of 16 gigabytes of RAM. I would recommend replacing the 4 gigs with 2 8-gig sticks. Here is your best upgrade at Crucial.

winston

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 8:47 am    

Thanks Wiz I will look in to this right away. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. winston may

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 9:16 pm    

Can your HP support two hard drives? If so consider using the 130GB drive as a boot drive and the 1TB drive as a data drive.

To do this, the best way is to do a clean install of the O/S using the 130GB without the 1TB drive installed. Once the O/S is up and running then install the 1TB drive. Then re-install your apps. A pain for sure. Back up every thing first! Then are another backup to a different hard drive,

I install all my apps to a data drive but if you have enough space on your boot drive you can keep them there instead.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8