The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA return spring mounting
Bill Johnson

Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 10:01 pm    

I have an 82 or 83 Vintage XL Supersustain II.
My questions are about the return spring mounting.
The clip that secures the one end of the spring to the tailpiece is something I haven't had on my older Classics.
The springs are the same gauge wire and the same length as on the classic. The clip adds another 1/2" to the length of the spring.
It's obvious that with the clip installed, there won't be as much tension for the return. Is it meant to have a shorter spring?
I haven't been able to check which is a better set up because I got the guitar in pieces and am still working on it.
Are these clips something that MSA came out with in later years? or did a previous owner think he was doing something magical?
If the clips are factory, has anyone removed them and still gotten good results?
Any thoughts or comments are welcome because at this point, I don't have a clue.

Thanks, Bill

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 6:50 pm    

The booby prize of the day. Looks like someone went to a hardware store bought new springs, They was to short and added that clip to make them longer to work. !!! Maybe.

I have owned 2 MSA Classics, When the springs have to be stretched to get the pulls right, The Springs are ugly. But that is what it takes to set up the pulls proper. But some think they need replaced, So they are pretty.

Bill Johnson

Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 9:11 am    

Bobby, I totally agree. Booby prize for sure.
The puzzle to what this guy was thinking seems to be growing.
It is evident they were trying to adjust something with the pulls or tension.
Since I got the guitar unplayable, my first order of business was to start working on refinishing the cabinet, therefore not checking the hardware to closely.
I am now in the middle of the lacquer applications and letting it set for a while before sanding.
After inspecting the changer to see what kind of work will be needed, I noticed that someone had tried to tighten the rivets
of the pull scissors using a center punch instead of a proper rivet tool. (ask me how I know this) The results are all of the
rivets are split and flattened on the rollover, causing over half of the fingers to bind. Looks like I will be rebuilding those now.
All of the pedal return springs are missing and the guide slots on the tailpiece have been milled out.
At this point, all I can imagine is that this guy was trying to lessen the pedal and lever tension while still keeping the return springs looking pretty.
I am sure more will come up as I get into it.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2022 3:51 pm    

Sounds like someone may have got in over their head, And done some things, That should have been done a different way, For the good of the guitar.
Good Luck getting this old war horse back sounding pretty.