Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 8:31 am    

Will different cables cut the treble I use GL cables

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 9:21 am     Re: Quilter steelaire to much treble

Gerard Drury wrote:

My 2 cents Yes!

I had a Steelaire and had too much treble, using George L's Cables. I tried a Quilter Travis Toy 12 and same way with George L's cables. I had a second steel set up with standard guitar cables and tried the TT12 with the second steel and regular cables and there was the sound! I used the regular cables on my other steel (a Franklin) and there too was the sound! I didn't try regular cables with the Steelaire but I would assume the same thing. I sold the Steelaire and the guy I sold it to said it was great.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2022 4:38 pm    

I'm not that familiar with Quilter's products, since they are rarely seen around my neck of the woods. But there are a lot of amps, Fender's Twin~Reverb for example, that won't deliver a lot of bass if the mids are turned up. The reason is that the mid-ranges are where our hearing is normally most efficient. And when the mids are turned up, they "wash out" the bass by simply overpowering the lows. To counter this, I usually drop the mids down to nothing (or nearly so), set the bass up considerably, and then adjust my tone with just the treble control.

You might try turning the High-Mids off, and then set the Low-Mids to around 3 or 4. Then turn up the bass to get the bass response you want, and adjust your treble to get the overall tone and high-end back. (You'll probably also have to raise the Master to compensate for the volume lost by lowering the Mids.)

For best sound and tone, I always set my Master Volume all the way up.

Worth a shot, anyway. Oh Well

Graham Bland

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2022 8:18 pm     I would try

I would try using a larger George L cable if you are not using it already.
I tried using the smaller gl cable and switched and it was a major difference.
People here on the forum say it’s no difference but there is a huge difference in the two. Use the larger gauge and you will see why. Small price to pay. I would get in touch with Bill Ferguson and get them from him. But make sure you get the larger gauge George L instrument cable!

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2022 10:55 pm     D'Addario

Has anyone tried the newer D'Addario DIY Instrument Cable?
How do they compare to the George L's?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2022 2:23 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Quilter's products, since they are rarely seen around my neck of the woods. But there are a lot of amps, Fender's Twin~Reverb for example, that won't deliver a lot of bass if the mids are turned up. The reason is that the mid-ranges are where our hearing is normally most efficient. And when the mids are turned up, they "wash out" the bass by simply overpowering the lows. To counter this, I usually drop the mids down to nothing (or nearly so), set the bass up considerably, and then adjust my tone with just the treble control.

You might try turning the High-Mids off, and then set the Low-Mids to around 3 or 4. Then turn up the bass to get the bass response you want, and adjust your treble to get the overall tone and high-end back. (You'll probably also have to raise the Master to compensate for the volume lost by lowering the Mids.)

For best sound and tone, I always set my Master Volume all the way up.

Worth a shot, anyway. Oh Well

The mid control is the opposite on a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb modeling amp. The key to getting a good steel sound is to turn up the mid to 8 or 9. Confirmed by several here on the forum.

The Steelaire EQ is active, not passive like a Fender.

Pat Quilter told me the custom Eminence 15" neo speaker used in the Steelaire has the high freq's response expanded and another reason for more treble. But George L's cables are the main cause. The person I sold my Steelaire to is using standard guitar cables and told me sound was great and even his band members commented on how good the amp sounded.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2022 4:03 am     Re: D'Addario

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
Has anyone tried the newer D'Addario DIY Instrument Cable?
How do they compare to the George L's?

I've been using the D'Addario cables that you make yourself, (like the George L's) for 2-3 years now and love them. They're the clearest, cleanest sounding cables I've ever used. I love the jacks with their substantial feel, and then how nicely the cables lay on the floor. You can buy the Cable Kits either from D'Addario or sometimes cheaper from Amazon. If you buy the 40' Cable Kit they're fairly well priced.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 6:04 am    

Jack is right about the cables.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 7:31 am    

Would the Freeloader or Matchbox control the resistance and get the same results as different size cables?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 9:05 am    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
Would the Freeloader or Matchbox control the resistance and get the same results as different size cables?

I didn't find devices made any difference. I have a Goodrich Matchbro (original model) that has a Matchbox on the output and whether connected to Matchbro or direct to guitar or connected to a Hilton Volume pedal made no difference. The only (positive) thing was using regular guitar cords instead of the low capacitance George l's cables.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 9:28 am    

I went back to my Revelation pre-amp and replaced V1 with the new JJ MG tube and it made all the difference in taming those, what I consider, Presence frequencies. It's a confusing pre-amp with Treble control also being a mid shift. However, with the vari-Z and color control, I can dial in or out unwanted high frequencies. It's bass control stands alone. Plus, the speakers being used makes a difference. Another strange comparison, I'm currently using a pair of Eminence EPS-12c speakers. Local musicians are amazed at the tone and volume I'm getting from the two 12's. I have an ElectroVoice 15L. Side by side with the EPS 12's, they are identical in tone. ?? The 15L has just a slight more bottom, but I can add a little more bass on the Rev and match the two.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 1:18 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
I went back to my Revelation pre-amp and replaced V1 with the new JJ MG tube and it made all the difference in taming those, what I consider, Presence frequencies. It's a confusing pre-amp with Treble control also being a mid shift. However, with the vari-Z and color control, I can dial in or out unwanted high frequencies. It's bass control stands alone. Plus, the speakers being used makes a difference. Another strange comparison, I'm currently using a pair of Eminence EPS-12c speakers. Local musicians are amazed at the tone and volume I'm getting from the two 12's. I have an ElectroVoice 15L. Side by side with the EPS 12's, they are identical in tone. ?? The 15L has just a slight more bottom, but I can add a little more bass on the Rev and match the two.

My comments were reference to the Quilter Steelaire (the subject of this thread). Can't say about a different amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2022 8:07 pm    

Sorry, I was referencing a different method of controlling treble other than different size cables, whether it is Quilter or other brands of amps.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2022 6:29 am    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:

I suspect that a Sarno Freeloader may have helped.

Read Brad's post here:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=162976

Here is another good read:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372576

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Last edited by Lee Baucum on 5 Nov 2022 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2022 6:30 am     Cables

Yes, the cables make a difference. I had the same experience as Jack, but using hand assembled Bullet cables. GFI through NV112, way too much treble! I thought the amp had messed up. Switched back to regular guitar cables and back to normal. I'm sure those type of cables work well for some applications,but not this one for me.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2022 3:03 pm     Steelaire too trebly

I play a GFI Ultra keyless D-10 thru a Quilter Steelaire combo amp as well as a a Steelaire rack thru a TT 15" cab. The pickups are GFI II's. I have had 0 complaints about tone. I got rid of the active volume pedals, skinny cables and light tone bars. I use regular guitar cables, a pot pedal and a heavy bar, with a slight bit of delay plus reverb.
Gain 1 + 2
Reverb 4-5
Dwell 5-6
Bass 4-6
Lo Mid 0
High Mid 2-5
Treble 3-5
Tone 8-10
Master Volume 7-10 when we get loud.
I have played a lot of amps and own a Telonics rig as well, but this is my "go-to." The Hi-Mid and Reverb controls make a big difference.

Gerard Drury

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 3:49 pm     Re: Quilter steelaire to much treble

Jack Stoner wrote:
Gerard Drury wrote:

My 2 cents Yes!

I had a Steelaire and had too much treble, using George L's Cables. I tried a Quilter Travis Toy 12 and same way with George L's cables. I had a second steel set up with standard guitar cables and tried the TT12 with the second steel and regular cables and there was the sound! I used the regular cables on my other steel (a Franklin) and there too was the sound! I didn't try regular cables with the Steelaire but I would assume the same thing. I sold the Steelaire and the guy I sold it to said it was great.
Daddario classic cables does cut the treble down.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 9:15 am    

Regular cables and if you want to take it step further, use a FreeLoader. I use a Steelaire with standard cables, a FreeLoader and a 15" TT speaker installed. I am very happy with that combination.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 8:33 pm    

I got a D'Addario cable kit Thursday. Made a 3' and a 10' cable, Hooked up GFI 12 U Steel with George L E-66 pickup, Through a Goodrich pot peddle to a Quilter Tone Block 202.

The new cables sure made a change, I can now adjust the Treble to get better tone and balance. Now to adjusting the Amp. for the best settings.