The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Similarities between E9 and the Alkire Lap tuning
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 3:57 pm    

I'm as about as niche as you can get since my main tuning is the 12 string Extended Alkire tuning on a lap steel. As many of you know, I just acquired my first Pedal steel and I've been interested and relieved to know how much cross over there is between the two. What is interesting is that I'm able to transfer some of the things I'm learning on E9 BACK to the Alkire. One of the problems with the Alkire tuning is that you are really on your own, as far as learning the instrument (especially when you extend it). But there are plenty of educational materials for E9th, which I then translate back to the Alkire, where possible. Here are just some of the similarities (btw, the tuning from bottom up is C# E F F# G G# A B C# E F# G#). Here are some of my early discoveries:

1. Since the Alkire tuning is based on an E chord (as well as an A - more on that) the frets are similar. Third fret is a G chord. 8th fret is a C chord, etc. So I don't have to learn a whole new fretboard layout.

2. On the 12 string Alkire tuning, I have the four main string groupings/voicings as you do on the Pedal. For instance, for G, Group 4 is strings 11,7, 5 on the 3rd fret. Group 3 on 7, 5, 3 on the third fret, Group 2 is strings 5, 3, 1 on the 3rd fret and group 1 jumps up to the eighth fret, strings 3,4,6.

3. The alkire tuning is also based on an A chord, so AB pedal changes are built in to each fret. G chord is strings 3, 5, 7 on the third fret. The C chord played with AB pedals down on a pedal is played on strings 3, 4, 6, same fret (3rd). You also have just A pedal down (strings 3,4 7) or just B pedal down (strings 3, 6, 7) all on the 3rd fret.

This allows me to reimagine licks for the pedal steel (certainly licks that incorporate A and B pedals) back to the Alkire tuning with minimum effort.

Be curious if the Alkire tuning would be good for pedal steel players looking for a lapsteel tuning to add to their arsenal as a light weight alternative

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 8:52 am    

Oh, yeah. Thanks for pointing this out. I can see it... it's 8 of the 10 strings from the E9 tuning but adds in a string for the A- and B-pedaled notes as well as the F-lever.

I bet a lot of E9 players could spend an afternoon learning the grips on the Alkire tuning and would be able to play something pretty quickly.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 2:03 pm    

Just thought I'd mention, some years back I saw the duo Acoustic Eidolon locally. After the show I spoke with Hanna who played cello with Acoustic Eidolon. I mentioned that I played steel guitar and the thing they both (steel and cello) had in common were that they sounded beautiful and didn't have frets. She then said her grandfather played the steel guitar and his name was Eddie Alkire. I told her I had one of those Alkire guitars as well.
Anyway here is a link to their page where she does mention her grandparents.

https://acousticeidolon.com/our-story/

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 3:09 pm    

Hannah Alkire and her husband Joe Scott have been great supporters of my eharp stuff for years. Wonderful people and musicians. They are based in Denver but travel all over.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 8:04 am     Crossover knowledge between two instruments or two tunings

Dear Bill - I knew something like this would happen if you took up the pedal steel. I didn't know what, but I knew it would be something. The pedals are not confining, they are very liberating.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 8:15 am    

Ha. I have to admit to falling completely in love with the Pedal Steel. Knowing the Alkire tuning REALLY helped me transition, they are set up so similarly. Just refocused my youtube channel to encourage people to take up steel guitar in retirement and I plan on demonstrating how you can start on a six string version of both the eharp and c6 and work your way up to D10 pedal steel as the ultimate goal. The alkire is a great training ground for the E9th neck and the C6 laps steel, obviously training for the C6 pedal neck.