The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ‘39 National New Yorker 7-string
Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 7:41 am    

I need Martin’s vintage “project” steel corner here it seems…

Restoring a vintage National gem to its former glory… or trying. 7-stringers are a rarity.

Still doing some troubleshooting on the pickup - note that around ‘39 Valco did an unique over-string version of its thru-string design. Problem I’m facing is that bass side (strings 5-7) is quite low in comparison to treble side. New magnets installed by Jason Lollar which resulted in improved treble but still weak bass. If anyone with a vintage New Yorker has experienced this, please let me know. I’d prefer someone with specific knowledge of these guitars/pickups. Both magnets are new/good, and it seems unliely that Jason Lollar flipped the bass side somehow just like the original on the pickup he received.

Thinking somehow bass rolled off due to tone control problem (one side / cap definitely bad on the Harp/Chimes/Hawaiian range). My next stepmis directly connect the pickup, eliminating other stages.

Optimistically, I hope to get this pickup issue sorted which then leads to the next issue - locked up polepiece screws. Any advice for freeing these up would be appreciated. Otherwise, drilling them out, retapping, replacing lies ahead. Yahoo!

Thanks in advance for any insights.

“When I nod my head, hit it with a hammer.”

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 5:44 pm     NYer Pickup

I have a 7 string New Yorker with the same pickup. It sounds great, no issues with string balance.

After reading this I used a cheap magnetic polarity tester to see what the magnetic field was like. Surprise - The bass side is way more powerful than the treble side! Like... I can attach a steel nut to the bass side, and it won't stick to the treble side.
Whoa!
I think that only the bass side is a magnet, and the treble side is just a steel spacer.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 9:06 pm    

Same string count, not same pickup. If you cjheck closely, you’ll see what I’m yalking about. Not sure these are wound similarly.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 9:11 pm    

Eric,

Glad yours is working fine. Were you just rubbing it in?

Again, I’d like to hear from those familiar with this particular version and the problems involved.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 10:02 pm    

Martin, right, I see now that your pickup has the metal flaps, so the coils are on top. (earliest version I think)

Still, my point being that only one end is a magnet. Is yours that way too? If so, is it the bass or treble side?

I do know that some later Valco string-through pickups only had one end as a magnet. I am surprised to learn that mine (an early version) only has one magnet.