The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is using Fender Tonemaster Deluxe for steel?
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2022 2:13 pm    

I finally heard one of these. My friend Charlie Joe Wallace uses one with his Fender Custom T-8 and I was impressed. It sounded real nice. He said he’s been using it for a year with no problems. Is anyone else using one for pedal steel and how are you liking it?
Thanks

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 12:56 am    

I too have been wondering if the Tonemaster Deluxe would sound good with a pedal steel. I played guitar through a Tonemaster Twin Reverb, which a lot of pedal steel players seem to like, at a music store and liked the sound, but I really like the size of the Deluxe.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 5:29 am    

I had a TM Deluxe for a couple of years and really liked it. I traded it for a TM Twin so I would have a mid control and more power. I wish I had kept the Deluxe. Here's a video I made using the DI out with the Deluxe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_2BzOWzdk

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 9:25 am    

When I saw the title of your thread I clicked to chime in that Charlie uses one, but you already knew that! Charlie uses his for PSG too, he also has a TM Twin and uses that when he needs more oomph, but the Deluxe works and sounds great at reasonable volumes, and you can lift it with your pinky finger.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 10:12 am    

Is the TM DR any louder than a regular DR. I have an old BFDR with a D120F in it. It sounds great, but doesn’t really cut it for PSG on gigs with typical drums & bass.
I so much WANT the TMDR to work, but I fear the loss of headroom is still there.

Maybe we need a ToneMaster ‘64 VibroVerb. LOL

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 1:20 pm    

Very usable for Steel. I have used one on over 50 gigs.. There appears to be many steelers who use original twins but the weight is a problem. Gotta love the lighter weight! I have played multiple venues where original twins are provided with backline so I am able to give a good comparison. The differences are subtle. I found the original to be a little more even on the EQ and maybe a touch brighter. .. The Tonemaster can give a pretty different tone at 4 vs 4 1/2 on eq controls.. I have no trouble finding what I want.. I use the max watt setting, the breakup starts to happen about 5 on the volume.. I only go that high on very large festival stages. I usually go w volume at 3-4 and put a little in the monitor. One channel for steel one for lap steel. I like being able to have two instruments with different EQs ready to go.. no switching.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 1:54 pm    

Quote:
Very usable for Steel. I have used one on over 50 gigs.. There appears to be many steelers who use original twins but the weight is a problem. Gotta love the lighter weight! I have played multiple venues where original twins are provided with backline so I am able to give a good comparison. The differences are subtle. I found the original to be a little more even on the EQ and maybe a touch brighter. .. The Tonemaster can give a pretty different tone at 4 vs 4 1/2 on eq controls.. I have no trouble finding what I want.. I use the max watt setting, the breakup starts to happen about 5 on the volume.. I only go that high on very large festival stages. I usually go w volume at 3-4 and put a little in the monitor. One channel for steel one for lap steel. I like being able to have two instruments with different EQs ready to go.. no switching.

You're talking about the Deluxe Tonemaster?

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 3:29 pm    

My Bad Dave ..I was talking about the Tonemaster Twin. Shuda put my glasses on!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 5:56 pm    

I do use a Tonemaster Deluxe for my stage shows with Ronstadt Revue. I use the clean channel for steel (because I have all my effects in pedals) and use the effects channel for Tele (so I can use the onboard reverb).

I almost never run the volumes above 3. Put some in my monitor and let the sound tech handle FOH.

I've been very happy with this setup. Sounds good to me and my back is happy with the arrangement too.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 9:09 am    

Norman Evans wrote:
I had a TM Deluxe for a couple of years and really liked it. I traded it for a TM Twin so I would have a mid control and more power. I wish I had kept the Deluxe. Here's a video I made using the DI out with the Deluxe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_2BzOWzdk

Lovely tone Norman!

I could never get a Deluxe Reverb loud enough for pedal steel. Love it for non-pedal. I assume the Tonemaster would not be any louder.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 12:23 pm    

I had one as backline last week. It was a small but loud band and we only had a line check. By the time we started, I had a terrible monitor mix and could barely hear the amp over the rest of the band, even when cranked.

So depending on the situation, power could be an issue.

That said, I've seen/heard some audience videos of the set and it sounded great out front.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 12:34 pm    

Tim wrote "Lovely tone Norman!

I could never get a Deluxe Reverb loud enough for pedal steel. Love it for non-pedal. I assume the Tonemaster would not be any louder.[/quote]"

Thanks Tim, The Deluxe was plenty loud enough for anywhere I played, but I didn't play with any extremely loud bands. The DI out gives exactly what I hear from the speaker. Send the signal to the house system and let it do the heavy lifting.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2022 6:19 am    

Thank you everyone!
dz

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 1:44 pm     Differences

Fender deluxe reverb vs. twin reverb vs. super reverb tone masters? Which do you like better for steel and why?

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2022 10:16 am    

i gig a lot and use a tonemaster deluxe reverb for my steel for about two years now.
i`m very happy with it and retired my silverface deluxe reverb and my silverface twin.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 4:26 pm     Tonemaster deluxe

Would some of you post your settings using a Tonemaster Deluxe . I have one and would like to try it , but start close to begin with .

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 6:06 am     Re: Tonemaster deluxe

Karol Wainscott wrote:
Would some of you post your settings using a Tonemaster Deluxe . I have one and would like to try it , but start close to begin with .

I usually ran Bass about 8-9 and treble 6-7 on the Deluxe.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 11:26 am     Tonemaster Deluxe

Thanks Norman , I will start there . I have a GFI Ultra .

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 7:40 pm    

Karol, I have a GFI Ultra and the Tonemaster Twin among other amps. I feel like the Tonemaster Twin has it's following but I wasn't happy with my steel tone. I just replaced my pickup from a GFI III to a Lawrence 705. The tone is much better and I haven't yet tried the Tonemaster again. It's a killer amp for Telecaster guitar. I still own several Fender tube amps including a Deluxe reverb reissue. I may have to try that soon.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 2:36 am    

hi Karol, the settings depend on your guitar and your pickup choice. anotherfactor can be a delay that might brighten or mud up your tone. in my case, playing a bright single coil i set it on 5W brights around 4-5, bass around 7 and reverb at 4 for playing with the band. so keep on trying, again, i`m very pleased with the overall performance of the tonemaster deluxe, even bought a second one recently.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 4:24 pm     Tonemaster

Thanks Larry and Norbart for the information .

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 8:21 pm    

Been using a Tonemaster Twin for a year. Love it and plenty Loud.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 6:34 am    

I used my pre-loved TM Deluxe Reverb for the first time at a gig the other night. With the room being upstairs I was very thankful for the 22lbs.

It was just loud enough (with a quiet drummer) so no need for steel in the monitor. I had the volume on 7 or 8 but I tend to play relatively backed off on the VP and didn’t hear any breakup. I’ve played the same room with my N112 and the useable volume from the amp is similar. The Peavey has louder hiss when turned up, enough for the sound man to comment. In both cases I lined out to the desk.

At home I do prefer the sound of the speaker/cab to the DR line out but I was totally happy to line out in a band situation, it sounded really good. The reverb (firmware update) was absolutely lush. I do miss having a mid control. I don’t know if I would trade the weight issue for the mid control and extra volume (and cost) of the TM Twin - it’s a close call. The TM DR is almost laughably easy to lug up a flight of stairs, the extra 10lbs of the TM Twin would be a significant negative for my needs. For a lightweight amp that looks and sounds great for practice and gigs I think it’s a winner.