The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ‘57 D8 Stringmaster troubleshooting
Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 11:30 am    

Blend control on neck 1 only seemed to bring Front pickup in - at other extreme, no sound.

Opening the contrl cavity, I found a ganged 250k pot which I believe was added because the rear pickup is no longer working. I checked this by bypassing the second pot stage which should have resulted in std Stringmaster wiring config (with the output of the rear pickup leading to the lever selector switch). No signal, which tells me it dead ends at the rear pickup.

In wanting to restore it, I wanted to find out how to swap out the ganged 250k pot, but perhaps a case of “if it ain’t broke” as I have no idea of where a spline shaft pot can be found nor how to remove the knurled wheel mic control knob (looks like special tool needed).

Any advice and recommendations welcomed.

Worst case, I could restore it as it was with front only on Neck 1 but this steel deserves to return to 100%.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 2:21 pm    

The blend wheel should just pull up and off, at least mine does. Look on ebay for the correct pot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164779840819

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 7:35 pm    

“should”….

Guess pickup is my primary focus. Seems I need to see if it’s really a goner (dual pot config suggests so), or get it back working right via rewind. Nothing wrong w pot, so can ignore that for now.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 9:58 am    

Here is the wiring diagram from the Lollar site. In any case it seems you need to get the pickup rewound. You can easily test for continuity with a multimeter. It should read about 7.8k ohms. Nick Fryer did a terrific job on mine.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 10:24 am    

Measured rear pickup w ohmmeter, and it’s open circuit, so needs a rewind.

Contacted Tm Brantley here in NC but will be sure to keep Nick Fryer in mind too.

Thanks.

Appreciate the wiring diag. Since this is a D8, outputs need to go to output & vol/tone control stage via 3-way selector switch.