The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Essential Effects
Mark McConville

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 4:12 pm    

Hi all-

I'm typically a straight into the amp kind of player, but I'm curious about adding some effects.

What are your essential effects for pedal steel?

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 4:54 pm    

For me....(more of an ambient psg player):

Volume pedal, of course
1. Compressor (EHX)
2. Reverb (Strymon)
3. Delay (Strymon)
4. More Delay (Keeley)
5. Overdrive
6. More Reverb (Neunaber)

Others: Pitch Shifter (EHX), 'Freeze' Pedal (SuperEgo), Strymon Nightsky, Strymon Flint, Microcosm, Chase Bliss Generation Loss.....I could go on.

But really....reverb and delay at a minimum.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 4:57 pm    

Delay and reverb.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 7:21 pm    

Definitely reverb and delay.

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 5:49 am    

Reverb.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 5:58 am    

Delay and reverb some times chorus alesis mid verb 111

p.w

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2022 8:26 am    

I was an amp reverb only type for years but have been experinenting.

A couple different delay pedals are nice for different settings on particular songs. Some people use a basic delay for everything and I think it sounds great but I prefer only sometime use.

I've also played around with one overdrive before the volume pedal for consistent crunch and another overdrive after the volume pedal that is more reactive to the volume changes.

You could get one of those zoom multistomps pretty cheap and go nuts with experimentation for awhile, it's pretty versatile, then get standalones for the stuff that really grabs you.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2022 1:22 pm    

I don't think I've ever heard a steel even from some of the very best players that sounded good to me all bunged up with fx like chorus, fuzz, muffs, phasers, overdrives (except naturally overdriven amps), doublers, harmonizers or any other do-daddy junk. My ear wants to hear clean and clear with a touch of reverb and delay. Stereo is nice. I'm always disappointed to hear the rest. They sound polyester synthetic and contrived to me and rob the steel of it's full beauty. Even on a hard rock tune. There are obviously a lot who disagree. It's a matter of taste.

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2022 1:46 pm    

John Poston wrote:
You could get one of those zoom multistomps pretty cheap and go nuts with experimentation for awhile, it's pretty versatile, then get standalones for the stuff that really grabs you.
+1 on John's idea. Less than $100 for a used MS-50-G gets you a pretty good version of just about every possible effect. And if you don't like any of them, you can resell it for the same price. List of effects: https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_MS-50G_FX-list_v3.pdf

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2022 8:15 pm    

Get an effects rack. It has so many different effects. And you don't have to worry about getting effects separate.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 1:19 am    

Reverb with delay is essential. There are two kinds in practice - a natural-sounding one that the audience is not really aware of. This needs a short pre-delay to make it sound realistic. Then there's the featured bouncy twangy kind using the same elements. My Lexicon MX200 does all that.

The other thing I use a lot is chorus, as I often need to sound less like a steel and more like an electric piano.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 10:19 am    

Mike Auman wrote:
John Poston wrote:
+1 on John's idea. Less than $100 for a used MS-50-G gets you a pretty good version of just about every possible effect.

The Line 6 M5 is another great option. I have piles of effects pedals, but I still use the M5 most of the time. You can get to just about any effect you can think of in a few seconds and quickly adjust it to be a usable sound. As good as the Eventide H9 sounds, that's one thing it can't really do.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 11:14 am    

Generally for my style I like to have at least reverb and tremolo. Distortion, chorus, delay, phase shifter or Leslie effect are also useful.
ZOOM MS-50-G contains all those effects. It has a tuner function as well.
I do play old style honky tonk and rockabilly and when I do I barely even have the reverb on and no other effects.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 11:43 am    

I get a little nervous about "essential". Seems to me that it really comes down to the type(s) of music you're playing.

I typically like to have at least a touch of analog delay and amp verb on but for some bands I could live without them.

I play on a lot of rock-ish gigs so my pedalboards tend to have a variety of overdrives but those are hardly needed for most country gigs.

I love having a wide variety of sounds available to me but are most of them essential? No.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 12:31 pm     Effects

Just a bit of reverb, and even less delay. One repeat .

I’m not a big pedalboard guy. The only thing I want on the ground is my volume pedal.

I understand some have greater needs , but I need throw and go.

The recordings I enjoy usually don’t have a lot of effects. I think it’s easy to overuse effects, and loose clarity.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 7:17 am    

This is what I currently am using.

Tuner
Distortion
Leslie simulator
Expression pedal for rotor speed
Tom Bradshaw Resonator
Reverb / Delay
Sarno Black Box
ToneMaster Twin

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 2:04 pm    

Delay and Reverb

chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 7:10 am    

I’m with Scott on this one. I have yet to hear overdrive on a steel guitar that sounds real, other than the very slight breakup of a tube amp. The purpose of my use of overdrive with a six string guitar is for that singing, warm sustain, the sound that comes naturally with the steel guitar controlled by the volume pedal, the sound I was looking for when I took up the instrument….reverb and maybe a little delay is about it for me…but, to each his own….