The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Three questions about my volume pedal…..if I may?
Jeffrey Beers

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 6:26 am    

Hi all - I’ve had my GFI D10 for a month or so. I’m getting to where I’m thinking about hooking up the Hilton volume pedal that came with it. And, if I might impose on some of you, I have a few questions:

First, I have my tuner and practice amp on smart plugs. So, I walk up, pull off the cover and have ECHO turn it on. I can easily add the volume pedal to the “Group”. I am assuming that I want to cut power to the volume pedal when I’m not using it. Is that correct? (You never know if there might be some magic circuit or something…..)

Two: The previous owner, a gentleman from Beckley, WV has the friction on the pedal set so that it returns to off when you foot is released. I’m thinking that I want the volume to remain pressed ON unless I back it off. How do most of you set that clutch?

And C, the pedal has the optional hook on it that hangs the pedal off of the foot pedal support. I’m a big dude and it feels funny. Should I take it off and set the pedal on the floor or ‘just get used to it’ and reap some unknown benefit for my discipline?

Speaking of being a big guy, my knees don’t fit between the knee levers. So, I’m going to be tinkering with those. Besides eating a salad, any DO and DONT advise on dialing those in.

Thanks all. I hate to be asking rookie questions, but I spent a lifetime learning not to learn things the hard way. (Whoa! Was that a hook?)

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 7:34 am    

The main issue here is the volume pedal - i.e., Electronics - so moved there. I suggest you ask question about knee lever separation in separate thread in the Pedal Steel section.

On questions -

1. I assume your question here is whether or not you should cut power to Hilton volume pedal, not smart plugs. I think it's genrally a good idea to do this, but there are varying thoughts. One counter to that is that electrical transients occur when switching stuff on and off. But on the other hand, there is the issue of power supplies heating up.

BTW, personally, I don't use smart plugs because I don't have confidence that the switching relays won't affect the power. Not saying it's an issue, and I suppose there are probably differences in the quality and reliability of smart plugs. But I just see them as another potential source of problems without a lot of benefit.

2. I personally hate it when a volume pedal returns to off when my foot is released because I sometimes double-foot the steel's pedals, especially on C6. But just on principle, I like things to stay put when I release control on anything. But I guess it's up to user preference.

3. There's pro and con to the pedal rack hook. Pro - the pedal doesn't move - pedal travel while playing can be annoying. Con - the pedal may not be where you want it on the rack. Again, I think this is user preference.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 8:17 am    

"I spent a lifetime learning not to learn things the hard way."

THE NEW #1 COUNTRY HIT SINGLE FROM FORUM MEMBER JEFFREY BEERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Backed with the B-side smash "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

(Sorry, I almost never post nonsense or attempts at humor, but this was too good to pass up.)

Back to the questions..........

1) "Smart plugs" and turn on.
I assume that you power up things "automatically" and not the old fashioned way by flipping switches.
Being the dinosaur that I am, I'd just do it the old fashioned way.
I assume that your chain goes Guitar-VP-Tuner/effects-Amp.
I'd power them up in that order with the amp being last so that you don't get a bunch of transient thumps coming through the amp.
Power things off in the reverse order.
Sorry if that didn't answer your question, but like I said I'm old fashioned, and living smart is something that I don't know much about.
HEY!!!!!!!!!!
ANOTHER SONG TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!
Are we on a roll here today or what?

2) VP resting position: I agree, it's up to user preference.

3) VP bracket to pedal bar.
Another personal preference.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 9:27 am    

I'm an ex amp tech and computer techie but I agree, ditch the modern" electronics.

Jeffrey Beers

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 12:45 pm    

Thanks everyone for the replies. And, apologies for posting in the wrong area.

I agree with the hesitation iin powering a good amp with smart plugs. I won’t be doing that with my better amps. However, my practice amp is a little solid state Crate. So, I may try the amp and pedal out with “ECHO, PEDAL STEEL ON” and see wha5 happens for a while.

I’m going to go ahead and tighten up action on the pedal. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to ‘learn’ a bad habit that t would have to stop and unlearn someday……like just about everything I do on a piano. And, I’ll try the pedal both ways and see how that goes.

And lastly, one day I’ll share my as yet unfinished and never to go viral hit about true love lost due to excessive consumption of beverage….

“My Eyes Are Cryin, My Liver’s Dying. I’m Throwin’ Up When I Oughta’ Be Throwin’ Down”.

Thanks again for the patience and replies.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 4:58 pm    

The only one of these I care about is that if I take my foot off the pedal I expect to find it how I left it when I return.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 7:09 pm    

Luckily, the Hilton has a tension adjustment that can be easily set to keep the treadle in the position you leave it.

("Smart Plugs" are a silly toy - the ultimate sign of geek laziness. Razz )