The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Bassman TV 12 ?
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2022 10:45 am    

Anyone have any experience with this.amp for steel ?

The idea of a bass amp with a tube in its preamp sounds interesting. Any reason to think this might sound better than the average steel through a bass amp?

There’s one for sale in my area . I’m hoping someone will convince me to not go look at it.

Fender didn’t make the TV series for long. I’m guessing there is a reason.
TIA for anyone responding.[/i]

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 2:38 pm    

As some one who likes tube amps and who sort of keeps track of Fender, I had never heard of the Fender TV Fifteen amp. I love the way it looks.

Of course, it's always difficult to tell what an amp will sound like unless you play through it, but it looks interesting. In my experience, a tube preamp warms things up a little (only so much one 12AX tube can do). If it were for sale in my area . . . back when I had money, I would have definitely gone for it.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 8 Nov 2022 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 2:49 pm    

On second thought . . .

https://www.premierguitar.com/fender-bassman-tv-fifteen-combo-amp-review

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 8:14 am     Tv 12

Thanks Susan, I saw that review as well. I’m curious how much that single tube can warm up the circuit. I was hoping someone familiar with the circuitry would comment as well.

The review is for the TV 15 , and the reviewer mentioned moderate volume concerns. That’s for an amp claiming 300 watts. The TV 12 is half the wattage, at 150. I decline any gig with stupid loud volume, but the review makes me concerned about clean headroom. Of course “loud enough “ is rarely my issue.

I think I’d have a hard time selling this amp if I didn’t fall in love with it. There’s a reason they discontinued this series after a very short run.

Thanks for your input.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 8:34 am    

I have never seen or heard this amp, but as for the efficacy of a single tube, anyone using Brad Sarno's Black Box in front of a solid state amp can tell it's the bomb.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 10:32 am    

I’m a big fan of Brad Sarno and his products, some of which I own (and use), but a single 12ax7 in front of a solid state is not going to make it sound like a tube amp. It can warm up the sound a bit, but there’s a big difference between the two. I have a couple solid state amps with a “tube preamp”, and the tube doesn’t do much for me.

You can get great sounds out of either a solid state or a tube amp, but the sounds and the way they need to be played through are quite different. Different strokes. Different folks.

- Mary Oliver

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 12:46 pm     Tube in a solid state amp.

Susan and Dave both make excellent points.

A tube in the preamp section may or may not “warm up” a solid state amp much, I think it all depends on the circuit.

I had Brads block box, which was great ,but subtle. Also, running it before the volume pedal likely affected the contribution to its tone enhancement.

I’m guessing the tube in the Fender warms the tone up a bit, but unless someone more knowledgeable could see the circuit, it would be hard to quantify.

I’d bet Brads black box before the volume pedal would warm up a solid state amp , more than the 12ax7 in the Fenders solid state preamp circuit, but without knowing the circuitry, it’s just a guess. Another thought is the fender tube is likely a cheap 13 year old tube, ( re-labeled GT ?) which may be less than ideal.[/i]