The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...
Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 11:28 am    

Without write a book, I joined the Forum back in 2006 in my memory of my father Robert (Bob) Devous after his passing in 2002. Dad was a long-time pedal steel guitarist - both as a musician and an exceptional precision craftsman building his own custom steels as well as repairing and restoring various brand name guitars for others in the region. Dad had two steels (SD10 and a S12) when he passed and I have since sold the SD10 and all related equipment as well as all of his repair parts and inventory. After 20 years since his passing and still holding onto the S12 and being recently retired at age 64, I decided it was time to give this wonderful instrument a go. The S12 is actually a reincarnation of a double 12 string MSA that was owned by a very dear friend of my Dad - Harley Brendal. Dad used the neck, tuning head and changer housing from Harley's steel and then added his personal touch for the changer and under carriage (for which he was known for).

After resting in its case for 20 years, I brought the S12 back to life and was totally amazed at the fact it was still in tune! Of course, I needed a good amp to do so and acquired a used Peavy Nashville 112 from another good friend of my Dad's - Jimmy Goodman. So, my first question is regarding the lubrication of everything. I would assume it is time to do so? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have recently enrolled in Paul Franklin's Intro course and have been surfing the internet as a means of further getting started. I know, seat time - right? It would be great if I could connect with someone locally but there does not seem to be anybody left. Are there any steel players in the Billings, MT area that would be willing to give a newbie some hands-on advice? Also, are there any steel players in the area that own one of my Dad's custom steel guitars? I would love to hear from you folks as well.

Sorry for the lengthy post - this forum is great! Smile

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 12:28 pm    

Best wishes on your future steel endeavors Michael.Your memories of your dads work are quite interesting. Keep us posted! As far as lube intervals if its been a while a light machine oil etc. Will be just fine. A drop or two anywhere there is friction will work.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 1:05 pm    

Many Forum folks like Tri-Flow, Michael. Ask for it at your local bike shop.

Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 1:30 pm     Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Thanks guys! I have read that simple sewing machine oil will work as well - great pin-point applicator. Is Tri-Flow the same or better than sewing machine oil?

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 6:30 am    

My understanding is that sewing machine oil is good too. Neither oil attracts dust. Tri-Flow has tiny silicone particles, I believe.

https://www.triflowlubricants.com/product-category/lubricants/

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 4:58 pm     Steel players

Here you go

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/members.php

Pw

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 5:05 pm    

Michael
Go to members page and put in Montana should come up with members
In Montana

P.w

Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 12:40 pm     Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Thanks Paul! Looks like there are a number of Montana forum members but only a few that are active and have logged in recently. Also, I cannot tell where in Montana some of these members are located. I would think the best way to connect to those potentially near me that have not logged in recently would be via a direct PM. I assume this would be acceptable to do so?

Mike in Montana

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 8:40 am    

Michael,

I am in Gillette, WY... Welcome to the forum.

Robert

Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 10:41 am     Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Howdy Robert ~

Thanks for posting - at least someone is close by (give or take 230 miles). Very Happy

Mike in Montana

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 5:28 pm     Montana steel players

Look up Richard Sinkler here on the forum. He's in Missoula.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 6:47 pm    

Be sure you have a good and full understanding of the number system. Not knowing it is akin to trying to get an education while not being able to read or spell.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 4:54 am     Re: Montana steel players

Jim Arnold wrote:
Look up Richard Sinkler here on the forum. He's in Missoula.

Unfortunately, Billings is 344 miles away.

Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 7:03 am     Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Howdy Richard ~

Yes, a good 5 - 6 hour drive (assuming good roads)!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 11:10 am     Re: Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Michael Devous wrote:
Howdy Richard ~

Yes, a good 5 - 6 hour drive (assuming good roads)!

Hi Michael. Welcome.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2022 11:24 pm     Re: Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Michael Devous wrote:
The S12 is actually a reincarnation of a double 12 string MSA that was owned by a very dear friend of my Dad - Harley Brendal. Dad used the neck, tuning head and changer housing from Harley's steel and then added his personal touch for the changer and under carriage (for which he was known for).

I knew Harley Brendal very well, and I remember when he was playing the MSA D-12. At some point he had it converted to an SD-12, and I would guess that conversion was the source of the parts that went into your instrument. I would also guess that your father may have done the conversion work for him. By 1983 or 84 and until his death Harley was playing a push-pull Emmons D-10 exclusively. He was terrific on both E9 and C6.

Michael Devous

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2022 4:33 am     Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Thanks for sharing John! Dad and Harley would spend many hours together in the "garage". In fact, many a steel picker visited my Dad's "garage" over the years. So, whereabouts are you located?

John Alexander

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2022 8:28 am     Re: Where to begin? Questions from a newbie in Montana...

Michael Devous wrote:
Thanks for sharing John! Dad and Harley would spend many hours together in the "garage". In fact, many a steel picker visited my Dad's "garage" over the years. So, whereabouts are you located?

I might have met your father back in the 70's or 80's, but I don't remember visiting the "garage" - that was a long time ago! I can think of some other players who probably did.

Anyway, I'll send you a private message with some contact information for one or two Billings players I know of, that you might want to talk with.