The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Go See Gene Watson! TX/OK/MO/Southeast US
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 6:23 am    

Last week Gene Watson came to Branson for one night at the Mansion Theater.

Some of the Branson locals were invited to come out at sound check and see the new Emmons ReSound 65 D10 guitar that Boo Miller is using. It's a good looking and great sounding rig. He is playing through a Quilter TT12 combo amp. A volume pedal and Boss delay were the only things in line between the guitar and amp, nothing else was needed. Heck of a sound. Big, fat, clear. Every note seems punchy and defined.

Gene carries a 5 piece band (lead, bass, drums, keys, steel) most of whom have been with him for many years. Boo is the new guy, 5 months or something like that. For a 5 piece band they are getting the songs as close to the recorded arrangements as you could possibly get. Lots of twin instrument parts, all the signature licks are there and from what I know they were all played perfectly. Boo does himself proud. It's easy to see that Gene is glad to have him on board.

Gene is 79 years old and has lost very little, if any, of his vocal powers. They put the show together such that there is plenty of breathing room for him as he tells some stories and has entertaining banter with the band. Then they let 'er rip for a few more numbers and repeat the process. They did about 20 songs.

Go see them if you get the chance. It's the last of the breed and well worth the price of a ticket.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 10:08 am    

Boo Miller is a really good steel guitar player who has worked really hard. I am glad to see him have this really good job.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 10:05 pm    

Absolutely! I saw him last summer. The band was outstanding. He was very fan friendly and entertaining, and his vocals were as good as ever. He still sings his songs in the original keys. I believe that's pretty rare for someone who has been singing as long as he has.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 9:10 am    

Boo and Gene are a perfect match!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 10:57 am    

To make this fit within the Event section's parameters, here's Gene's tour page - https://genewatsonmusic.com/#GW_TOUR/

Nowhere near me, unfortunately.