The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons Biography and Thorium Reader??
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2022 11:05 pm    

I purchased a digital copy of Steve Fishell's biography "Buddy Emmons" a while back and downloaded Thorium to read it on. However, I don't really read much on my laptop. I recently acquired an Android tablet and also have an old Kindle - I would like to access the book on one of these as I mostly read in bed before going to sleep. However, this has turned out much more difficult than expected!

Edit: I've gotten further - I found the file with the book in it - it is buried deep in the folders for the Thorium App. However, it is encrypted with a license code required. So my question has changed - I now need to know IF I can put a book on two devices of mine, and if so, how do I do it so it will open.

I've left my original question below, but the above question is my current issue. Thanks!

There is not a version of Thorium for android - although there is a related program in testing which I've downloaded to my tablet. I can click on "export" for the book in Thorium, but all that does is create a file named "buddy-emmons" (no file extension) with 0 bytes wherever I tell it to put it - clearly NOT the book.

I have searched for the file containing the book - "buddy-emmons", .epub, and various other things it might be listed as. I've clicked to see hidden files. But I can't find it. Is anyone familiar with Thorium e-book reader and it's files? Is it possible to move books between devices? Who would have thought an e-book would be as difficult to deal with as VST programs!!!

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 8:29 am    

Use the library management program Calibre. It has plugins that will convert among the various reader formats, and remove the Digital Rights Management, DRM protocol.

Go to calibre-ebook.com for the version you need.

Go to epubor.com to get and find out how to install and use the Calibre DRM removal plugin.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 7:28 pm    

I downloaded Calibre and installed the plugin, but still cannot access it. At some point it's just easier to haul my laptop into my bedroom at night than to deal with this. But I won't deal with this mess ever again. As I recall, it was a PITA to go through the purchase/download process. And now this? No more DRM book purchases by me unless it's just light reading on my Kindle. Not worth the hassle.

I found this page interesting:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/drm.html

You make it too hard for the customers and they will not buy. My advice? Buy Steve's book - but buy a hard copy! I live overseas - that was not a practical option for me.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 7:55 am    

The easiest way to avoid this is to buy ebooks in epub format. It is the closest to a "universal" format. It's the one used by public libraries. I chose Barnes and Noble's Nook reader because it will read epub and pdf in addition to its own proprietary format. Only the newest Amazon Kindle will read the epub format. Their ebook market has been slowly shrinking, especially since almost all e-readers, and all tablets and smart phones can read epub.

Does the seller provide an epub version? Some vendors provide multiple formats. I would think a savvy seller would be willing to provide a format you can use. Nothing worse than a dissatisfied customer.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 9:19 am    

I just looked on Amazon and it says there is a Kindle version. Only $10. I may get it and let you know if there are problems.

EDIT: It works great on the Kindle app on my Android phone. I haven't tried on my desktop or laptop using the Kindle reader on those. I imagine they would work too.