The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anita Kerr RIP
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2022 6:36 am    

Just read that Anita Kerr passed away at age 94. Her vocal group backed up so many stars in Country and Pop that it is hard not to cross paths with them during the era.

RIP, Anita

Kind Regards, Walter

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2022 8:57 am    

Anita Kerr (94) Oct. 13, 1927 (Memphis, TN) - October 10, 2022 (Geneva, Switzerland)

(Anita Kerr quote)
“Gradually,” she went on, “we grew to 12 to 18 sessions per week, and I was writing as many arrangements for these sessions as was physically possible. Loving every minute of it, mind you. Tired at times, but happy.”

New York Times Obit:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/11/arts/music/anita-kerr-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

Anita was also an accomplished jazz & pop piano player, and worked clubs and casuals, solo and with orchestras in the Nashville area up until time she got busy in the studios. She was the ad hoc producer on countless records, even though her name did not appear on the LP credits.

The museum where I work had occasion to call her up in Switzerland. She said: "You know, I used to work in Nashville. We had a smile with that: Anita Kerr BUILT Nashville.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 5:31 am    

Rip Anita. She was a highly influential vocalist and arranger. The Anita Kerr Singers or The Jordanaires sang background on just about every Nashville hit in the late 1950s and early 1960s. She later moved to LA, wanting to expand beyond Country music and had a great career for decades. This record of Bacharach tunes has some beautiful vocal arranging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byId_VeoWCI

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2022 6:31 am    

The Anita Kerr Singers sang backup on Jerry Byrd’s “Hawaiian Beach Party” album. It took me a while to get used to hearing those voices weaving in and out behind Jerry’s steel guitar, but now I can’t imagine those songs without the vocals.