The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your "Ibanez" guitars...........
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 7:36 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 2 Aug 2012 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 10:21 pm    

I've had some great Ibanez guitars over the years including one of George Benson's personal GB-10's.
The absolute BEST PLAYING electric guitar I've ever put my hands on was an Ibanez lawsuit era flying V I sold twice out of a music store in Columbia, SC. I was playing in country bands at the time and just couldn't justify owning a V... but it had the SWEETEST neck, played itself. Fine, fine setup and fretwork.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 3:19 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
...I only included the celebrity copies and vintage repros, not the Japanese rock star endorser models or the hard rock/heavy metal guitars...

Laughing ...only
Thanks Michael, beautiful doublenecks! I really enjoyed all of the catalog too. Very Happy I actually began looking for anything resembling my old RG550 in there! Razz I wanted a good laugh at all the other hideous colors they were made in back then.

OK just kidding, I dont want to encourage you, haha. But maybe better start a new thread on that catalog. This thread is chock full o pics and loads a bit slow.

Clete

Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 7:07 am    

My 14-year-old George Benson model would look hopelessly out of place in this thread.

AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 7:42 pm    

circa 90s black saber custom model with floyd rose copy, Natural color glossy RG body with cheetah print pickguard, Both converted to lap steels. Both have humbucker, single humbucker configurations. More lap steels should have this.Ibanez yum Smile

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 6:49 am    

Laughing I guess they are OK if one can't afford a real guitar.. Sad

AJ Azure

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 7:51 am    

Joe Casey wrote:
Laughing I guess they are OK if one can't afford a real guitar.. Sad

lol Ibanez is not what it used to be. They're not about repro any more. Honestly better than Fender and Gibson these days. Sad but, true. Works for Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, George Benson and Pat Metheny. Good enough for me.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 8:26 am    

I'm sure if any company gave me a closet full of guitars they would be good enough for me.. Smile

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 8:54 am     1970s Johnny Smith

As it looks today, masking tape and all.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 2:57 pm    

The Blues Brothers..

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 6:03 am    

Sort of speak for themselves..

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2012 11:26 am    

Hey Joe, those ain't no Ibanez geetars, them's some of those ol' cheapo American instruments....I got a bunch of those too........JH in Va. Very Happy Very Happy

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 5:47 am    

Pardon my mess, but here's the one Ibanez I own, an AF105NT hollowbody.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 12:25 pm    

Wow, thats a beauty Jim. Shocked Love the flamed top! Ive really been getting G.A.S. for a hollowbody these days and that doesnt help. Razz

Clete

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2022 7:45 pm    

This came up looking for bender stuff to move over to Almost a Steel Guitar. I'll get some pics of my Ibanez git-boxes. No benders on 'em, at least not yet.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2022 9:55 am    

Here’s my 2019 AS73, which I bought new planning on modding it. I put on strap locks and locking tuners as well as a bridge Seymour Duncan JB AS4. Kept the original neck pup but tossed the original wiring. Completely lined the control cavity with copper foil. Replaced with AB pots, Switchcraft toggle, orange drop caps and wired the bridge for split & phase and a choice of caps on the neck pup. So now it’s a $800 guitar but as nice as many more expensive ones.
I love this guitar as it plays so well, has perfect intonation, looks gorgeous and I can get any sound I want.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 4:35 am    

I have had several MIJ Ibanez guitars over the course of my musical life, some played extensively for years.. Always well made, stable, great playability..However not one of them could really match their USA built counterparts in tone, feel, and just plain soul..
Hard to put my finger on it, but I know it instantly when playing these guitars..

Same thing with a Yamaha SA 800 I had for years, Epiphone Elite 335, Several Matsumoko built Washburns I have had, Fender MIJ strat and tele guitars,MIJ Strat 12 string, couple of Fernandes MIJ strats etc. Over the decades I have owned dozens, and they never could match the tone and soul of a good USA guitar.
Year of build did not matter either.. I have had great guitars from the 50's right through the 2000's, and as many dogs built the same years. Although they are fine guitars, IMO, the MIJ 335 style guitars never could match the tone or "soul" of a truly good Gibson ES 335. Same with the Fender style guitars. The MIJ guitars were really good, no question, but always seemed to lack something when compared to a really good "real" Fender.

I can't define what a good MIJ is missing, compared to its equal quality USA built counterpart, I wish I could. All I know is I felt it and heard it, for many years when I was out there in the trenches playing all these guitars, USA and import, very old and brand new... It was certainly an intangible element, but it was always there.. Same goes for Korean guitars.For years and years I had played, and loved a 90's Gibson LP DC and a PRS SE Soapbar, both equipped with P90's.. Mahogany, big frets, P90's etc.. Although that PRS was elegant and refined, with flawless fretwork, and incredible intonation, when played alongside that much more basic "rough cut" cheap Gibson, that PRS lacked the vibe, the soul, and the sound.. I was not even close.. Same with the feel.. that PRS was actually better built, but could not come close to the same sound and feel.. Both were built around the same time. It is what it is I guess.. The good USA guitars are STILL what the majority of the worlds best players are using to make music. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......