The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Today's weird question: Fender players, 21st fret bend
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 8:19 am    

This is a weird question, but there is a reason that I'm asking, which I might reveal later.

I believe that this is a simple question that should lead to simple answers.

It is specific to:
- Mainly traditional Fender type electrics (Strats, Teles)
- 21 fret guitars
- High E string
- Somewhat "standard" gauge strings, say .008 to maybe 0.010.

Question: Have you ever had success bending the high E string at the 21st fret up to an E note?
That means that the pitch change would be from a C# to an E.

The few times that I've tried it, I either didn't have the strength to get there, or the string broke.

I warned you that it would be a weird question. ;>))

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2022 5:36 am    

Never. I’m lucky to get an accurate whole tone bend on the first string that high up. But it has been a long time since I have ever used anything lighter than 10’s, so I can’t speak for lower gauges.

Same with lower frets, say, fret 7 and below. The extra string length behind the nut is somewhat more forgiving than at the bridge end, but there is still a lot of tension in that area. Not worth pulling the flesh away from under my fingernails.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 3:14 pm    

I don't know for sure, as my guitar days are half a century in my rear-view mirror. My guess is that it would be easier on a shorter-scale Fender, like the Jaguar (that I still have) or a Fender Mustang. They both have an extra fret (22), but I think that it might be doable on the 21st fret of a Strat or Tele...if you pushed with three fingers, and if the string didn't break! Laughing

If anyone could do it, it would probably be Jeff Beck. And if you listen real closely to the following clip, between the 4:45 and 5:15 mark, I think you'll see what I mean. Jeff was the grand-master at string bending, for sure. Winking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9bnaqqfq8

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 4:47 pm    

When I hear about string bending I always think of David Gilmour.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 8:22 pm    

A day late and a dollar short (well, a day late, anyway) - but if you're still interested:

There are three big issues:

1. Frets. I would advocate at least something like Dunlop 6105 frets, which I would call 'narrow tall' frets. This would be tough on a 'Fretless Wonder' Les Paul Custom, or even on a set of truly vintage Fender frets, although it is probably still possible if the guitar is set up for it.

2. Action. This will be a helluvalot easier if your action is not too low and you can get your fretting finger well under the string so you can really dig in. This becomes less of an issue with taller frets. I also generally find it easier to do extreme bending with a rosewood or ebony board, all other things being equal.

3. String gauge. With an appropriately not-too-low action and reasonably tall frets, I would have no trouble doing this with a gauge 9-42 set. But my fingers are strong and I typically play a Tele or Strat with an 11-48 or 12-52 set. I could probably do it with a 10-46 set, but it would depend on just how well the guitar was set up. With a Super Slinky 8-38 set, you could probably bend 2 whole tones. I know I've done it, probably even with 9-42 if the guitar is set up right.

Scale length matters too - I grew up with a white with red-tortoise guard '65 Fender Mustang, and bending was definitely easier. But with good frets, gauges than 9-42 or smaller, and an appropriately high action, I think this is doable on a 25.5" scale Strat or Tele.