The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty's steels?
Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 11:35 am    

Mark Dershaw wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the Carters he played? I'm a big fan of the S10 Carters!

Is this it?

Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 11:38 am    

Nice! I found a pic of Rusty playing a black single neck Carter. I find it interesting that 2 iconic players from the same era ended up playing Carters. Rusty from Poco and John Call from Pure Prairie League.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 11:44 am    

love this video of Rusty live in Albany '02 going almost Pete Townshend on a Carter steel. things really heat up around 6 mins and you've gotta watch til the end
https://youtu.be/GsfgWcVbwXo

welcome Sara! your dad will always be one of the very best and most influential players of all time

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 11:44 am    

yes, he did have a single neck Carter he played often. I love this video... I posted it where I'm selling the steel.

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 11:46 am    

scott murray wrote:
love this video of Rusty live in Albany '02 going almost Pete Townshend on a Carter steel. things really heat up around 6 mins and you've gotta watch til the end

welcome Sara! your dad will always be one of the very best and most influential players of all time

Thank you! We think alike! I just uploaded the same video. Smile

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 12:27 pm    

Mark Dershaw wrote:
Nice! I found a pic of Rusty playing a black single neck Carter. I find it interesting that 2 iconic players from the same era ended up playing Carters. Rusty from Poco and John Call from Pure Prairie League.

As does Bobby Black

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 5:35 pm     Rusty Young's steel guitars

The last time that I saw Rusty live was in the early '70's in Akron, OH with Paul Cotton (Richie Furay had departed.) From my prospective (in the audience) it looked like Rusty was playing a Sho-Bud D-10 plus a Sho-Bud S-10 and both steels appeared to be clad in white formica. Rusty used the D-10 with a lot of reverb for the intro to "Skatin" from the "Seven" album. Comments?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 8:25 am     Re: Rusty Young's steel guitars

GaryL wrote:
The last time that I saw Rusty live was in the early '70's in Akron, OH with Paul Cotton (Richie Furay had departed.) From my prospective (in the audience) it looked like Rusty was playing a Sho-Bud D-10 plus a Sho-Bud S-10 and both steels appeared to be clad in white formica. Rusty used the D-10 with a lot of reverb for the intro to "Skatin" from the "Seven" album. Comments?

I saw Poco at Blossom Music Center in ‘75, same lineup. They were the warmup act (weren’t they ALWAYS?) for Seals & Croft, but at least they followed America. I wasn’t close enough to see anything about Rusty’s steel other than it looked white-ish. I didn’t know or care about name brands at the time, but I knew Sho-Bud. I just wanted to hear him play the crap out of it, which he did. I thought he played one of his lap steels on Skatin’.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2022 9:56 am    

Mark Dershaw wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the Carters he played? I'm a big fan of the S10 Carters!

There's a photo of him and an S10 Carter on wikipedia from a 07 show. You can search Rusty Young musician and the link will pop up.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2022 9:33 am    

Scott Murray, that video of Rusty's playing is absolutely insane! As the late WNEW DJ Pete Fornatele said on his liner notes on the POCO greatest hits double album from back in 1975/6 or so, Rusty is the Evil Knevil of pedal steel for sure. That video captures Rusty doing that thing at his best. Looks like his Carter nearly fell off the stage at the end!

I have a great video that I recorded live in 1995 of Rusty, Paul Cotton and a bass player from the Springfield, MA area that at the time was touring with POCO. Haven't watched it in a very long while, but Rusty as I recall was playing dobro and lap steel predominantly. Need to get it digitized. I asked Rusty if it was OK to video record before the show started and he looked over to Paul and asked if it was OK and Paul said, "sure". Anyone know of a digitizing program that I could download to my computer to digitize this video? would like to get Sara Young a copy.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2022 9:47 am    

Sara, regarding the Bear, get in touch with Jim Palenscar and he will help you get that back in shape with new tuners and strings. Search for Jim's name using the search bar above. He is a Forum member and fan of your dad's, as all of us are. I started playing steel because of your dad's beautiful steel playing on Bad Weather off the The Inside album as well as John David Call's playing on Country Song off the first Pure Prairie League album. The steel on those two songs went deep into my soul and I became obsessed.

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2022 12:48 pm    

John Brabant wrote:
Sara, regarding the Bear, get in touch with Jim Palenscar and he will help you get that back in shape with new tuners and strings. Search for Jim's name using the search bar above. He is a Forum member and fan of your dad's, as all of us are. I started playing steel because of your dad's beautiful steel playing on Bad Weather off the The Inside album as well as John David Call's playing on Country Song off the first Pure Prairie League album. The steel on those two songs went deep into my soul and I became obsessed.

Okay great! Will do! Thank you for your help Smile . It does need some attention. Would love to have it displayed with the black and white pic of him playing next to it.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2022 2:24 pm    

Sara, you can private message me and I will provide you Jim Palenscar's contact info.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2022 4:10 pm    

I have a question for Sara since she is on the forum now... whatever became of Rusty's ZB guitars? Does the fsmily still own them or did he trade them for the Sho Buds he used for those many years?

jim h

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 11:14 am    

Jim Hollingsworth wrote:
I have a question for Sara since she is on the forum now... whatever became of Rusty's ZB guitars? Does the fsmily still own them or did he trade them for the Sho Buds he used for those many years?

jim h

I’m not sure.. the only other one I have is this one..

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 5:42 am    

Hi Sara,
That guitar is a BMI D-10 that your dad played when he was with the Sky Kings. That period was around 1993 to 1995. They were a great band that never got their due. I got to meet Rusty and hang with him for awhile .. he was a very kind and generous man. And he influenced so many steel players to take up the instrument. BTW - BMI was started by Zane Beck who built the ZB guitars I referred to in a previous posting. The BMI was a further evolution of his designs. The guitars Rusty was most associated with were:
ZB during Poco's first few years
Sho Bud - during the majority of Poco's tenure
Carter - during later Poco (reunion period)

I was deeply saddened by his loss and think of him often.

jim

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2022 11:45 am    

Wow! Thanks! Smile I remember my dad playing this steel when I was growing up. I chose to keep it b/c of the memories of him playing. I wasn't sure what kind it was.. there didn't seem to be any sort of brand on it. So thank you for letting me know!
My dad was kind.. miss him so much. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=P84NZsgO5S4

here's him playing it..

Sara Young

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2022 6:47 pm    

John Brabant wrote:
Scott Murray, that video of Rusty's playing is absolutely insane! As the late WNEW DJ Pete Fornatele said on his liner notes on the POCO greatest hits double album from back in 1975/6 or so, Rusty is the Evil Knevil of pedal steel for sure. That video captures Rusty doing that thing at his best. Looks like his Carter nearly fell off the stage at the end!

I have a great video that I recorded live in 1995 of Rusty, Paul Cotton and a bass player from the Springfield, MA area that at the time was touring with POCO. Haven't watched it in a very long while, but Rusty as I recall was playing dobro and lap steel predominantly. Need to get it digitized. I asked Rusty if it was OK to video record before the show started and he looked over to Paul and asked if it was OK and Paul said, "sure". Anyone know of a digitizing program that I could download to my computer to digitize this video? would like to get Sara Young a copy.

I would love that!!! 💕

Paul Mozen

Fl, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 5:13 pm    

Sara Young wrote:
Mark Dershaw wrote:

Is this it?
-
Yep, I have that Carter now. It will be a while until I can fix it up to it's former glory. If anyone knows a good tech in S. Fla let me know. Hi Sara !!!