The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 121, 122, 123  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!
Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 4:43 am    

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
The 4th string usually has 3 tuning screws at the end plate: lower to Eb / raise to F / raise to F#.
The raise to F is "usually" done with another pull rod.
How is yours set up?

Hi Eric.

Thanks for the reply. here's my setup:

The rod linking the LKL lever to the #4 string connects via the linkage shown below to the tuning screw on the middle row, string 4.

I think the issue is with that tuner on the middle row. When I turn it, the entire rod turns with it. It's as though the tuner has seized with the rod. I had assumed it was just there as an anchor point for a rod with no real tuning function - am I wrong?

Here's the tuning for the guitar as I got it from the seller:

Last edited by Neil Murphy on 5 Oct 2022 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 5:03 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
That guitar is setup wrong. First thing, on the three cross straps move the center mounting screw one hole up closer to the front of the guitar to the top hole. The pedal will work a lot easier. Also, the trees on 1,2, & 3 are in the wrong holes.

Hi Kevin.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm a bit new to PSG so I'm just getting used to the terminology. When you say to move the mounting screw on the cross straps, do I understand correctly that I should move the position shown as "1" in the picture below one hole to the right? And when you mention trees, are these the assemblies labeled "2"? Do you have any tips on how they should be set up?

Many thanks,
Neil.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 8:25 am     ZB String #4

These diagrams have been posted before, but I'll pop 'em up here again. I would try to disassemble just the middle screw and pull-rod on string #4 and see what/how it's actually connected.

And another version...

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 1:03 pm    

Neil, no. The strap mounting screw is the Allen screw to the left. Those are the strap mounting screws. The arrow in your picture is the TREE mounting screw. Generally, the first hole is used for the A pedal, followed by the second hole on both b&c pedals.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 8:51 pm    

Like Kevin says. Here's a pic for the pedal pulls...

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 9:42 pm    

That's exactly it Eric. That's the classic ZB setup that results in a good playing guitar. Thanks.

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 2:20 am    

Thanks Kevin and Eric. Great tips from both of you. I'll let you know how I get on.

Neil.

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2022 10:08 am    

Hi all.

Would anyone have a wiring diagram for a ZB Custom S10?

I recently acquired one that the previous owner had taken the original 3-way pickup from and stripped out some original wiring into the bargain. I've got the pickup back in and working but I still have some confusion around how the tone and volume pots should be wired, particularly in conjunction with a toggle switch on the control panel that right now does nothing.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Neil.

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2022 1:54 pm    

Someone on the forum sent me this years ago, but it does not show vol & tone pots:

John Ducsai
New Hampshire

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 2:30 am    

Thanks John.

I had seen that diagram somewhere on a web search. The pickups look right in that they're obviously multitapped like mine. Mine is an S10 so the wiring should be somewhat simpler. Do you think that the switch in the center is bypassing the tone capacitor? Is that what the black dot in the top left represents?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 6:27 am    

The black dot is the output jack.

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2022 5:25 am    

Nice to see that this post and thread are still going... 20 years after it originally appeared. (: 20 years!

Still have and play my ZBs (and others) and excited to see that the interest in these fine pedal steel guitars continues.

All ZBest, keep up the great learning and playing, all. Special thanks as always, to bOb for keeping this active, too.
LC

Melvin Farmer

Saraland, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 1:43 pm     Zb S-10

I have a chance to buy a ZB SD-10 4x5
with the last 4 numbers 4013.
Could someone tell me what year it is?

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 2:31 pm    

Basil Smith guitar made probably in the mid to late 80's.

Melvin Farmer

Saraland, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 2:56 pm     Zb Sd-10

Pardon my stupidity, but who is Basil Smith?
What is this guitar worth in decent shape? As much
or less than the older ones. I've never seen the
undercarriage of a ZB until recently so I'm in the
dark on ZB guitars. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 7:34 pm    

Basil Smith was the final owner of ZB steel guitars. I cannot interject a price on the guitar out of deference to Johnnie. It appears in excellent condition.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 3:40 pm    

That black ZB was built in Texas when Tom Brumley owned the company. Either Austin or Kinsland. Basil used a completely different pulling system on his guitars. Of course the pick up has been replaced with a George-L. Looks really good and I,m sure its a sweet guitar!!!

Greg

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 7:56 pm    

You can rest assured that any guitar that you buy from Johnnie King is in outstanding condition. He doesn't deal in junk and prides himself on sending customers guitars in outstanding condition.

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2022 4:28 am    

Hi all.

I finally got my newly acquired ZB Custom S10 settled in, staying in tune nicely and all wiring back to its original condition (the original 3-way pickup having been pulled out by a previous owner - luckily, he had hung on to the original).

So, I was just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the background story of the guitar - where it was built, by whom, any known owners, etc.

Serial number is #0310.

Many thanks,
Neil.

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 1:34 pm    

I just picked up a ZB D-10 this weekend, s/n 1073. I think it's a 1966 from what I've read here? Anyway, it's my first pedal steel in close to 15 years. I had a Sho-Bud for a bit, but didn't have the bandwidth to commit to learning it back then. I've been playing lap steel on and off for the past 20 years (and guitar for twice that). Looking forward to doing better with this one!

It's 8+5, but the 5th knee lever is apparently non-original and out of commission right now, kinda messed up with some damaged rods. The rest of the levers and pedals work fine. I've figured out the existing copedents (and will live with them for now, until I'm competent enough to have an opinion otherwise).

And wow, this thing sounds GREAT. I'll freely admit that the Jerry Garcia connection contributed to my decision to buy it (I wasn't looking for a pedal steel), and it can get his sound in the first pickup position, but it's SO much more than that. Digging on the middle pickup position. It's so smooth and fat.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 2:16 pm    

Serial number 1073 was invoiced om May 23rd, 1967 to United Teachers of Music. Your guitar was built in Scranton Arkansas

Tone machine for sure!!!!

Greg

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 5:11 pm    

Thanks Greg! I wish we had detailed info like that for other vintage gear!

So now I'm dealing with an irritation and wondering if it's a ZB thing (and if there's a fix), or if it's just me. My pedal rods keep popping loose! I'll be playing, and one just disconnects from the carriage and falls down. Three different rods have fallen that way now, usually when I'm playing an adjacent pedal. My old Sho-Bud never had that problem.

Is it a technique thing? Setup? Or is there a way to get them to stay in a bit better? I'm about to zip-tie the little suckers...

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 5:46 pm    

Dave,
The pedal rods go into the holes the other way - so that the hook is facing you. Then they can't come out.
Post a pic of your ZB !!! Cool

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 7:16 pm    

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
Dave,
The pedal rods go into the holes the other way - so that the hook is facing you. Then they can't come out.
Post a pic of your ZB !!! Cool

Thanks! I’ll try to get a better pic, but this is what I have now…

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2023 6:24 pm     Thanks to bOb

Just wanted to share a few memories with you all. This ZB post and thread continues to thrive, originally posted 21 YEARS AGO! thanks largely to all of you and especially to bOb. Several friends and players have asked over the years if I'd ever consider just compiling a manual or book or something similar about the history, the mechanics, the tricks, etc. To which I always just replied, just look through the entire post and you'll know so much about ZB guitars and you'll also get to meet all the players and see lots of great pics and read some great stories, too. Not all at once, but like a good book, a little at a time and a little more when the interest strikes home.

bOb asked me at least a dozen times if I wanted to keep it going, and every single time, I replied, yes, absolutely, it's such a wealth of great information, but it's probably costing you a small fortune in storage space. I'd like to just say thanks to bOb and all of the behind-the-scenes folks, and to all of you for keeping the interest and participation going; and also to pledge to make a donation to the SGF each year to keep this all going, and invite you all to do the same.

All ZBest,
LC