The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  cheap lap steels compared
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 10:35 am    

Since I had a rogue, an sx, and an epiphone lap steel, I thought people might be interested in a direct comparison. This was really intended for the beginner just looking to dabble in steel guitar, but I really like having a cheap lap steel to throw in the car to practice on when I'm at my in-laws or our cabin. I did some mods y'all might be interested in, and I think it's interesting to hear one played after the other through the same amp to really hear the differences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ddtUaEeflc

Jon Kostal

Westmont, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 2:00 pm    

This is an excellent video! It's perfect for beginners to actually hear them compared. I thought the Epi had the best tone, but I believe you're correct about the SX. I enjoyed it very much, and I think it's unique in lap steel videos! Keep up the good work, and thanks!

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 10:53 am    

Thanks for watching, Jon! The Epi is definitely the nicest instrument, but it's also double the price of the other two, so I tried to let people know the pros and cons of all of them. I don't know if I ever would have started on steel if I hadn't been able to buy a $250 Multi-kord to start. Hopefully this will help some people stick their toe in the water.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 12:01 pm    

Great video! And you sound great, honestly, on all three. It's kind of a compelling video to disabuse beginners of the idea that "well, if I get the cheaper instrument, I won't sound good"...when in most cases the facts are you won't sound good with a nice instrument for a while, either! Until you've put in the work and developed some chops...at which point, as you demonstrate, you sound fine even on cheap instruments!

Worth noting on the scale lengths...the SX 8 is the full 24.75" but I think the SX 6, which might be a fairer comparison to the Rogue, even though I prefer the 8 string...has what most people call "short scale" but not as short as the stock Rogue...22.75". So sort of a medium option between the two...

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 1:27 am    

Great video Nathan....... This is exactly what a beginner is looking for when contemplating stepping into the world of playing the Lap Steel guitar. It does not seem that long ago that I was in this position and a video like this would have been just what I needed. I do have the Epiphone and it is a very nice inexpensive instrument. But as you pointed out the pickup was very poor. On the instrument I bought which was probably one of the first production models and I replaced it immediately. The guitar is now a very good instrument. Any reasonable quality single coil pickup will improve this instrument greatly. I do think for a few dollars more Epiphone could install a better quality pickup then this instrument would be a very good instrument at a reasonable cost.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 7:18 am    

Never played the Epi, but we have both the Rogue and the SX 6 with a P90 soap bar style p/up. There's really no comparison in quality or sound between those. The SX feels very solid and has a nice tone, I think. My only complaint about it is that the vol. control has a very quick taper. Prolly needs an upgrade.

Otherwise, nice ash body with a good feel and clean sound, especially for the money.

Greg Brouelette

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 11:50 am    

I have an Artisian 6 string which just the same Chinese instrument rebranded as Rogue. Mine was strange in that the output jack was on the side opposite the volume and tone knobs. When you put the cable in it sticks up exactly where your right hand is supposed to be. So I always have to use a right angle cable for that instrument. The shorter scale and cheap adjustable bridge really make it unpleasant to play. I've spent quite a bit of fiddle time getting that bridge to be flat so my chords don't buzz.

My main instrument is an SX 8 in C6 tuning ( A C E G A C E G ). I love it although it does sound a bit bright to me. I occasionally build guitars so I think I'm going to build a couple lap steels for myself. But until then I'm quite happy with my SX 8. In fact, I'm considering getting an SX 6 for an Open D tuning. (D A D F# A D)

David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:18 pm    

What is the scale length for the SX?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 7:11 pm    

My SX-6 measures 22.5 in.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:08 am    

Ethan, good video and great tones from these low cost instruments. I have a couple SX 6 string, a Supro 6. A Morrell 8 and a Dillon 8. Of this group the Dillon is the better made and sounding lap steel. Each has there place and fun to play.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 5:39 pm    

Here's a late thanks for this videon Ethan.

I had been half-heartedly pursuing the notion of getting a Rogue on the cheap and converting it with a GB kit. Your video sold me on it.

I won a Rogue on Goodwill Auctions for $51 and then bought the GB kit, which was delivered in 3 days. (Go GB!) So I've got a nice project lined up for the weekend.

Now, for under $100, I will have a nice little beater to travel with. 😀

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 9:20 am    

Thanks for the kind words, Nic, and that's good to know about the sx scale lengths. Mike, you sound great on that Epi, and with that pickup, it's a really nice instrument! Thanks, everybody, for listening, and I'm glad it was interesting/helpful. Lloyd, that should be a nice little "beater" lap steel, and it doesn't get much cheaper than that!

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 12:29 pm    

I bought a Rogue just to see if I wanted to pursue lap steel. I got the pickup upgrade too but have yet to install it. I just leave it in open D for experimental moments.

I'll probably pack it in a trip to Tahiti or remote destination and leave it as a gift to anyone who seems committed. Gave an extra mandolin to an old friend who was inquiring on getting one, she was pleasantly surprised and it was a win win all the way down.

Matthew Lyons

Breezy Point, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 10:19 am    

Great video! Just starting out and this is most helpful! Thank you!

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2023 11:31 am    

My pleasure, glad it helped!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 6:23 pm    

Enjoyed the vid, I haven't played any of those but i tried lots of Recording King's for $200, now $250 and found them serviceable tho many of them needed to have bolts/screws tightened down, probably some resoldering, bridge slots, pickup height etc. Occasional intonation issues also, but fun to play.

Oh and in the selling anything bus, they're affordable, entry level, budget efficient but not cheap!