The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clint Black, Cody Jinks, Ward Davis RedRocks
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 4:21 pm    

Great song, Great Steel and the reat Clint Black

https://youtu.be/VEjC6oHiX3s

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 9:13 pm    

Austin Tripp on steel with Cody and Clint, playing a Mullen. On the "Killin' Time" record featuring the song, the steel player is Jeff Peterson, who was in Clint's band, playing an Emmons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 11:26 am    

Thanks Craig and Brett! I sure love that playing that song. I’ve been with Cody for 7 years now and I’ve been working with Clint part time for a few months. He’s finally wised up and hired a steel player for his shows again!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 1:41 pm    

Austin, Thanks for chiming in, your playing is so great and I'm so happy that you are playing with one of my favorite artists.

I also like what you did with Whitey Morgan as well.

I know that Milo Deering played on the song 'David' from 'The Adobe Sessions', but do you guys play it ever live?

I love that song but it's hard to listen sometimes because it makes me cry, but it is such a beautiful song and so personal. It means a lot to me, tell Cody that sometime.

Anyway, keep up the great work, and hopefully you guys can come up to the NYC area sometime soon.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 1:43 pm    

Lol!!..He played it wrong...now, for me, doesn't matter, but if it had been a Lloyd or Buddy intro I bet there would have been a hundred players all over him. I only say this because I know the love and respect ya'll have for the legends, and if there is a breath outta' place in one of their licks there is always an uproar. For myself, I am just knocked out and so appreciative that something I recorded 32 years ago would still be played on a modern stage....added embelishments notwithstanding. Do what you will with the idea, put your take on it, and I will remain...extremely flattered....thank you.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2022 7:20 am    

He got the main idea out of the intro and did a very good job, as for the fills beyond that I think it’s great Clint didn’t hold his feet to the fire and expect or demand it be note for note as recorded. They we’re having fun and enjoying the moment.. that was worth the price of admission! The legends are leaving this world at a quick pace so thankfully some younger players are picking up the torch and running with it, they’re entitled to the same levels of experimentation we enjoyed . It’s great to see Clint with a steel on stage again, it suites his music and it’s a step in the right direction of getting the instrument back in the genre.

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2022 12:15 pm    

Jeff, Clint and I talked about you a bit the other day!

This version was recorded with Cody Jinks and when we recorded it, the producer didn’t want the intro to be spot on to what you had recorded. Just little changes but the intro is definitely different. For the rest of Clint’s set, he likes to keep signature licks in place but on solos, he turns the guys loose for a bit. Same thing with Cody. We have signature licks to play, but when it’s solo time, the gas pedal is wide open.