The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got my new Lap Steel...
Roland Mathew

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 4:30 pm    

After "Lots" of talking to many people (Amateur and Professionals), and thanks to all of you here for your help, I decided on which Lap Steel to get. I know I'm going to love learning this new instrument very much. Because of that, I didn't want to get a bottom-of-the-line Lap and grow out of it in no time. I've been a guitar player for many years but I have had this desire to learn Lap Steel for quite a while.

One of the Builders, I spoke to, was Asher Guitars and Lap Steel. I must say that Bill and Jessica Asher are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. They spent so much time with me and answered lots of my questions along with giving me advice in many areas; they never made me feel pressured at all. Obviously, they make quality instruments and are quite knowledgeable.

When it arrived, I was very impressed with the quality of the build, and the tones; I'm having such a great time learning and playing it. I can see a long future of enjoyment and satisfaction, in Lap Steel, for me. Personally, I feel that I made the right decision for me. Thanks, again, for everyone here that helped with their advice.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 9:36 pm    

Nice one, bet it sounds as good as it looks. Enjoy that baby!!

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 1:43 am    

Nice steel, Roland! I'm sure it's a fun one to play. I wish Asher made short scale lap steels as that's my preference. They sure look and sound terrific.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 12:07 pm    

Joe Cook wrote:
Nice steel, Roland! I'm sure it's a fun one to play. I wish Asher made short scale lap steels as that's my preference. They sure look and sound terrific.

First of all, congratulations Roland. Bill and Jessica are great folks, and Bill has
really upped the ante in recent years regarding the Electro-Hawaiian Jr.

I think the gold top might be my favorite of all the newer finishes. I used to have a tobacco burst with upgrades like Lollar Imperial humbuckers but sadly, my car was broken into on a business trip four years ago and it was stolen. But I’m alright - I have since replaced it with a Master built Electro-Hawaiian 1 Custom.

As for your comment Joe, Bill has made a number of short scale lap steels. Check out the link below. But you’ll have to “pay the piper” - these are his hand builts in Los Angeles, I’m not sure if there is enough interest in short scale guitars to warrant an addition to the imported from Asia Junior series. But you never know.

https://www.asherguitars.com/collections/all-lap-steels/products/asher-electro-hawaiian-short-scale-23-inch-with-fire-stripe-pickup-993

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 4:02 pm    

That’s a beauty, Roland — it’ll take you far. Congrats!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Roland Mathew

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2022 4:44 pm     Thank You...

Thanks for all of the "really" nice comments about my new (and 1st) Lap Steel Guitar. It makes me feel good and confirms that I must have made the correct choice. I can't keep my hands off of it. All my other guitars are feeling "very" neglected!!!!!!