The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HAWAIIAN STEEL GUITARIST-Casey Olsen
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 3:43 pm    

This morning as I was walking thru the lobby of the Sheraton/Waikiki I thought I heard a steel guitar and was blown out of my flip flops by none other than the great Casey Olson(Hope I spelled it right)!He was with a stand up bass player ,guitarist and an older gentleman on the ukulele, playing all the standards. Casey was gracious enough to talk with during breaks. The guitar he was playing was a "Canopus"(Japan)tuned to C6. I took a couple of pics, when I get home I'll try and post those. I gotta go looks like Greg Sardinha just showed up on the scene.
The steel is not yet dead in Hawaii...plenty left just gotta look for it! Tommorow 9a.m. in the lobby of the Sheraton/Waikiki and tommorrow afternoon at the "Pink Hotel"(the Royal Hawaiian)
Casey said that Alan Akaka has a "Steel" school in Kailua I believe. Aloha
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Last edited by Dana Blodgett on 20 Jan 2011 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 5:08 pm     Hawaiian steel guitarist Greg Sardinha

Greg Sardinha and a couple friends on bass and guitar followed Casey Olson today in the lobby of the Sheraton/Waikiki.Greg was playing an older single neck Fender 8 string tuned to C6, not sure if it was a stringmaster or not.Just crazy good to my ear! Harmonics(chimes galore)! He was also very approachable and said he was at the Royal Hawaiian also tomorrow,later on tonite at the Hilton. Tomorrow afternoon(sunset)at the Halekulani(next door to the Sheraton). He also said he would be playing again at the Honolulu airport soon. He did that gig for awhile about four years ago. Today there's been steel guitar all day since about 9:30a.m. here at the Sheraton in the lobby and the best thing about it is it is FREE!. I'll try and post pic's in about 10 days when I get back to sunny California.Greg and Casey just blow me away!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 7:46 pm    

Count yourself very lucky to have had a roll like you're on, Dana, now just keep the rain away, k? www.hwnsge.5u.com

Kekoa Blanchet

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 9:42 pm    

Here's a link to more info about Alan Akaka's music school. He's a great teacher.
http://www.kekulamele.com/

For a while, he was flying to Kaua'i every Saturday morning, teaching classes and private lessons during the day, and then flying back to O'ahu Saturday evening. This was sponsored by a grant from the HSGA. Just to keep up that schedule every week points out his dedication and passion for teaching this instrument. And what a treat to have such a talented teacher here on Kaua'i! Rumor is that he'll be doing it again this spring -- I sure hope so.

Alan plays a Canopus steel guitar as well, as does Ed Punua, another talented performer here on Kaua'i.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 10:13 pm    

Quote:
This was sponsored by a grant from the HSGA.

Yes it certainly was. The funds came from the scholarship funds of the HSGA where people from all over the world have contributed to make it possible for young people to learn the Hawaiian Steel Guitar.

The HSGA will make scholarship funds available for young people who qualify after they complete an application. One of the most important parts is to have a teacher.

If you know of young people who want to learn the Hawaiian steel, you may make inquiry at the HSGA website. They may be of assistance to you.

Aloha, Smile
Don

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 5:10 am    

If you are interested in helping perpetuate the music and tradition of Hawaiian Steel Guitar you should seriously consider becoming a member of the HSGA. The forum is slow Oh Well Laughing Rolling Eyes but there is a lot of knowledge over there.

David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 8:53 am    

You were VERY lucky to see all that great talent...especially after all the talk about steel dying out, it's nice to hear about this. I remember in 2003, way before I started playing steel, when my fiance and I flew into Honolulu for me to meet her family for the first time, Greg was playing at the airport, and I just had to stop and watch for a while...I was fascinated by not only by the sound, but by the unreal musicianship I saw...great memory. Flash forward to one of Alan's BBQ/Kanikapilas (I am a haumana of his at his school) and I am playing steel guitar with Alan on bass, Greg on guitar and Derrick Mau on ukulele...quite intimidating I assure you for a newbie. My fiance and I are planning on settling in on O'ahu and buying a house this summer after Hawai'i season on the ships, and I can't wait to have all this "steel goodness" available for me to go see. Also, FYI, Alan has started doing Skype lessons on steel guitar...

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 9:14 am    

[quote]This was sponsored by a grant from the HSGA
Quote:

The only thing that bothers me is that I don't think
the HSGA gets enough credit or acknowledgment for what they are trying to do. A lot of members are donating a lot of money to make this happen.
Just my 2cents worth.
Wally

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 12:06 pm     Starwwod steel/Casey& others

Aloha Ron, Don, David, David & all...Hey the sun's out this a.m. and things look brite, Casey Olson and friends are goin for it again in the lobby at the Sheraton and later moving over next door to the Royal Hawaiian! This is sooo cool IMHO these guys Casey and Greg are just crazy good!What a way to start your day.
Ron I'll look into joining when I get more of a chance-my internet availability is limited to a few minutes everyday til I get back to Cali.I'd like to know more about Alkans school and his contact #'s if possible, as I come out as often... Aloha nui all,& Mahalo Ron

Kekoa Blanchet

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 12:55 pm    

Aloha Dana,
From Alan Akaka's Ke Kula Mele website:

Quote:
If you have any questions or comments please contact:
Alan Akaka, director
1296 Auwaiku Street
Kailua, HI 96734
Tel: 808-375-9379
Fax: 808-263-7855
For International students
1-808-263-7855
Email: info@KeKulaMele.com

The link for the website itself is http://www.kekulamele.com/
I hope this helps.

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 5:40 am    

We had Casey and his dad Hiram as our honored guests this last OCT in Joliet at the annual HSGA event there. It was a great time. Those two play so well together.

Alan Akaka is the steel instructor this FEB for Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island. I'm attending and looking forward to a week of Hawaiian music with Alan, and all the other great pickers that will be teaching there. A week on the beach with steel guitar... ah!

chris
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 1:54 pm     hawaiian steel guitarist-casey olsen

Aloha Kekoa, Mahalo for the info about Alan Akaka's steel school and contact #'s I appreciate it! Actually, Alan is supposed to be at Duke's on Sat. from 7-9p.m. I am gonna try and make it. Yesterday was awsome, I saw Casey, Greg and later on at sunset I sat out on my lanai and listened to a trio with a steel guitarist at the resort just west of the Sheraton!
Yesterday Greg Sardina was playing a “Canopus" 8 string sunburst single neck! Beautiful looking and also beautiful sounding, Greg said he had this one tuned to a C13.So for two days in a row I had access to "Hawaiian Steel" from 9:30a.m. till after sunset! You can't get much better than that. Hopefully my pic's will be ok and I can post in a week or so.
These "Canopus" guitars sound awsome,very similar to an old string master(FENDER)IMHO!
Again, Kekoa , Mahalo nui Loa.

Last edited by Dana Blodgett on 3 Oct 2022 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 4:00 pm    

Dana, did Greg or Casey mention if these are steady gigs for them now, or what days/times/places they'll be continuing with?
To see Casey at all is rare today, and to keep up with Greg who's constantly on the move you'd have to be calling him weekly, so thanx for the tips!

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 11:46 pm     Hawaiian steel guitarist -Casey Olsen

Ron, I'll try and contact you tommorow with another post at least as my usage of the internet is about up for today.
Briefly though I got the impression that these were not steady gigs as yet. Although I think Casey would like to play more often in the Sheraton/Royal Hawaiian hotels.
I believe Casey said he was off to Japan soon and that Greg was heading to California soon as well.
I tried to send a pm and an email but I don't think it worked!More to come... Aloha

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 12:55 pm    

I read through the comments and didn't see it mentioned. Uncle Casey is the grandson of Billy Hew Len.
He sat in with the great Raiatea Helm yesterday here on Maui at the 15th annual ukulele fest.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 8:11 am     Video with Casey

Casey plays lead at 3:43 in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj3YhR2-QwQ

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 12:52 pm    

Chuckled at myself when I opened this thread, saw the remark about Alan's school and eagerly thought "hey I can give you all the details", then noticed its from 11 years ago, at a point where I barely knew a puka from a hole in the ground, and had my one lap steel guitar taking up space in its case, tuned to EADGBE (out of ignorance). Time flies!

I remember seeing his father Hiram playing with Jerry B on those old HI Public TV bits on youtube. I watched those a LOT of times.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 6:14 pm    

Was Hiram Olsen a member of Jerry Byrd's group when he played the Surf Room at the Royal Hawaiian in the '80s?

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 8:20 pm    

I believe so , he was Jerry’s rhythm guitar player for many years, Sadly Hiram’s no longer with us. I use to see Casey play with Hiram at the “ House without a key”…The Halekulani in Waikiki.
Casey told me Hiram had a SHO~BUD SUPER PRO at home

Travis Brown

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 4:57 pm    

Well, it's now 11 years after this thread was first posted and I just got home from three weeks in Waikiki (for work).

I was bar hopping almost every night. I saw probly a half dozen different groups playing Hawaiian music, and not one had a steel guitar player.

It was kind of a bummer, though, of course, I still had a great time.