The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Informative and interesting video on JBL speakers
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 1:16 pm    

Ask Zack has some entertain and informative videos on guitar players and gear. He does quite a bit of research on guitars, amps, pedals and everything associated with music stuff.

He just posted this video on JBL speakers and goes through the early history and folklore of how JBL speakers started being used in guitar amplifiers and who used them. I always thought it was Fender that first used JBL speakers and was surprised to find out it was Standel amplifiers. Very enjoyable video. Now where did I put that K120 speaker that Jeff Maxwell reconed? Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp0Qkm9ycko

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 5:03 pm     Informative and interesting video on JBL speakers

Len,
That is a pretty interesting and informative presentation about JBL speakers and their use in guitar amps. Thanks for the link to the video.

I have a couple more of those K120 and K130 JBL speakers if you can't find yours. Very Happy

Thanks

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 3:57 am    

Hi Jeff:

I sent you PM on a BW 1201 (I think( basket you can have as you had post looking for
some baskets. I have no use for it and you are welcome to it.

Lenny

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 9:53 am    

In the video, Zac talks about the "chirp" with the JBL speakers. This is especially noticeable with metal fingerpicks and when I first heard it I actually thought there was something wrong with the speaker. You have to accept this character with the JBL and adjust the treble or presence accordingly. IMO......

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 5:34 am    

I used JBL speakers for a long time until a friend suggested I try an Altec.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 4:30 pm    

I would like to try an Altec speaker. An endangered species of of speaker you don't see very often.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 5:04 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
I would like to try an Altec speaker. An endangered species of of speaker you don't see very often.

I have two fifteen inch. An older green one and a newer white frame. One in my Session 400 the other in a extension cabinet.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 3:01 pm    

I listed my Altec 418 with an original cone several months ago for a couple days and the only interest it generated was a local player (who’s currently playing steel for a well known artist) and he stated he’d never heard of an Altec. Asked me to loan it to him to bring to Nashville for an audio engineer to study who’s wanting to design and build speakers. I’m not the fastest turtle in the race! But I’m certain I’d never see my speaker again or it’d be blown if I did. That was a quick, NO! Winking
Ridiculous to have asked that question. “If you want it, its for sale at a really good price.” Rolling Eyes

I realized I’d be parting with an absolute gem of a speaker that’s nearly impossible to find in original condition and deleted the listing. I’m not ready to give up my original cone alnico JBL’s! But that Altec is great to say the least!

Dave 🙂

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 7:14 am     Altec Speaker

Len Amaral wrote:

Len,

I might have a couple of Altec 15" speakers soon if my offers get accepted. I will let you know if I get them and when they are ready for use.
I will let you try one out if you want.

Thanks
Jeff

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2022 7:31 am    

To my ear, there's nothing better sounding than a black panel Vibrolux loaded with K110s. Fortunately, I've got a Princeton that I loaded with one. The most clarity of any guitar speaker that I have ever heard. I can add distortion with a stomp box, you can't add clarity!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 11:50 pm    

I think the speakers are great, but you have to push them. If they are too comfortable, they are to clean for me and I don’t feel like any overdrive really does sound really great. I actually don’t love them for six string regular guitar but I have a vibroverb, 15 and deluxe, and if you push the speaker they are spectacular.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 8:52 am    

Matt Berg wrote:
To my ear, there's nothing better sounding than a black panel Vibrolux loaded with K110s. Fortunately, I've got a Princeton that I loaded with one. The most clarity of any guitar speaker that I have ever heard. I can add distortion with a stomp box, you can't add clarity!

I have a late silverface Princeton Reverb amp that I thought was great with its stock CTS (Fender "Special Design") loudspeaker. About a year ago I found a reconed K110 on the Denver Craigslist for a good price, and pulled the trigger. I installed the JBL in the PR, and whoa Nellie! It's a whole new ballgame. A combo platter that to my old ears is tonal nirvana.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2022 9:23 am     Re: Informative and interesting video on JBL speakers

Len Amaral wrote:
I always thought it was Fender that first used JBL speakers and was surprised to find out it was Standel amplifiers.

And that's not the only idea that Leo Fender hijacked from Bob Crooks.