The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter 202 vs Super Block
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:30 am    

Has anyone compared these two Quilter products? Are the preamp circuits the same? They have the same control knobs, but the Super Block has the added features of cabinet and Fender amp simulation selections. The Super Block can be used with the built-in 25w amp or used as a preamp patched into another power amp. The Super Block looks like an ideal preamp for steel.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 4:01 pm    

I have and have used both . I used the Superblock this past Sunday in a church I was playing . I played through a Quilter Blockdock cab for my personal monitor and ran the direct out into the PA . It sounds similar to the 202 but is different . Hope this helps
Dale

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 2:01 am    

I'm sold on the TB202 but before I retired from bands I had considered one as a backup amp. Small to carry.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:23 am    

I can't find tone stack information on any of the Quilter specs. TC Electronic tone stack is available.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 8:34 pm     Superblock

I have used the superblock as a pre-amp through a bass amp with good results on steel. But I prefer using the line out to board with a small cab as a monitor. I recently acquired a aviator gold head, which predates the tb202 a few years,but uses a similar tone shaping as the superblock. Running this through a 15" black widow bass cab has become my favorite amp with steel, the superblock does better with a 12" speaker to my ears. Both sound very fender-ish xlr to a house board. The superblock gets church duty @25watts, aviator gets the outdoor gigs @ 200w. I'm able to dial up steel and tele on either one. Something I cant do on my nv112.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 9:55 am     TB202 vrs Mach 3

I have a Quilter ToneBlock 202. I love it. But sometimes I want the flexibility of two channels.

The new Mach 3 looks promising. Has anyone tried the Mach 3 for pedal steel? How does it compare to the 202?

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2022 9:43 pm    

Gil what channel are you using on the aviator?

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 6:29 am    

Greg, I'm using channel 2 with gain fairly low, Cranking the main to where I need it, going through a Goodrich 6A as a buffer before the amp with a steel. Straight in with a Tele on ch. 1. The hi-cut knob will help tame some shrillness on 12" and smaller speakers, but I found using a 15" BW with a closed back cab is a really good sounding combo for both for me. Like I mentioned, I will use the Superblock for through-house needs. Although the eq capabilities seem the same on both amps.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2022 10:50 pm    

I recently purchased a SuperBlock US. I played a gig tonight with it and have decided I prefer my ToneBlock 202. The SB made my Clinesmith frying pan lap steel sound a wee bit too brittle. I think my TB202 sounds warmer.
But of course YMMV.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2022 6:27 am    

I have the 202 Combo with a 12" and a 15" Cabinet... Last summer while visiting MSA, I played through the SuperBlock into a 15" PV cabinet, and was really impressed with how good the SuperBlock sounded, and how much "Gas" it had when hitting the throttle. Pretty impressive.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com