The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Class D power amps for Sarno V8
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 6:13 am    

Dyke Corson wrote:
Hi Karen! I'm not... I'm pre-amping a pre-amp. It works for me, and there's added tone control flexibility. Been using this for almost two years and I keep going back to it. Once I have all the gain stages set correctly in a sweet spot, it's very quiet and very responsive to touch. I've used the V8 in front of regular combo amps too like my LTD or a Nashville 112, it's not how you're supposed to do it, but it's been working for me.

thanks !

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 6:15 am    

My V8 had a output level control on the back panel. And my Tone Block had a gain control that went from "Line" to "Guitar". It did not actually bypass the Quilter preamp, but it was workable.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 6:36 am    

Karen:

If you want to bypass the quilter preamp you just plug in to the effects return jack. This will disable all controls except the master volume. Check out the correspondence I posted from Pat Quilter earlier in the thread for more details on this.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 6:52 am    

Rick Contino wrote:
Karen:

If you want to bypass the quilter preamp you just plug in to the effects return jack. This will disable all controls except the master volume. Check out the correspondence I posted from Pat Quilter earlier in the thread for more details on this.

thank you !

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 7:05 am    

My Tone Block 200 was an early model with no effects loop. Good thing the newer ones have it.

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 9:08 am    

Hi Brett, I use two of Jay Ganz's Straight Ahead Power Amps. They are small, less than 1 lb, with a lot of clean power. I use these with 2 Tommy Huff Cabs. Great combination.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 9:31 am    

the sarno V8 is so amazing. I am using it today for recording. My push pull has tone to die for thru the V8

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 10:34 am    

I've used my V8 going into the Quilter input and also using the FX return. Both sound good to me, but I haven't used that set up for a gig.

For me, the V8 is most useful with my Stereo Steel, which I had built with a second aux in where the tuner out usually is. That aux is post EQ but pre FX, so I plug the V8 in to it, add an AB switch, and I can switch between alternative steel sounds with the same FX settings. I can also use that V8+aux channel for guitar and avoid carrying a second amp. Works great.

Last edited by Tom Dillon on 1 Feb 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 10:42 am    

Anyone have a contact address for Jay Ganz's ?

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2019 2:31 pm    

If you're handy, you can buy class D amp modules at a very low cost. I tried one I bought at Amazon for 10 bucks--40 Watts I think. Works great in a homemade powered speaker with the V8. Runs off of a laptop power supply.

I did another that was from Dayton Electronics that I paid about 25 bucks for plus another 25 or so for an appropriate power supply. 100 Watts. In a powered speaker, it too sounds great with the V8.

I have a Quilter Toneblock in the rack where my V8 lives, but the other two Class D amps sound virtually identical to the Quilter if you leave the Quilter's tone control alone. But, the Quilter's midrange control really is a nice addition to the V8 in my rig. I don't bypass the Quilter's preamp. I have the output level control on the V8 turned down, and dial the Quilter towards "line."

It would be very easy to live with either of the cheap Class D powered speakers I have built. You can buy them at pretty much any wattage you want--you just need to match up a proper power supply.

I think it would be very difficult to make the V8 sound even mediocre (except because of my playing....)

Dave

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2019 12:40 pm    

David Ball wrote:
I think it would be very difficult to make the V8 sound even mediocre

I agree. Been playing around with this little rig at home. It sounds quite good.

Dennis Anderson

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 7:44 am    

Sarno V8 is an excellent preamp. I’ve played it through a Straight Ahead (very nice), a Quilter 101 into efx return (also very nice), a Carvin tube power amp 100 watts (truly fantastic, but amp died...). I now play the Sarno through a powered Buscarino Chameleon 1x8 cabinet which is the best, most transparent I’ve found. I do play mainly jazz archtop these days. I also think that use of Sarno black box tube buffer makes any Class D amp sound warmer as well. Love it.

[/img]

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 1:48 pm    

I was able to trade my Twin custom 15 for a Steelaire. Probably won't need a powered speaker anymore because this thing will work great for a lightweight, small amp that I don't have to worry about..

It was cool to try the amp on it's own and with the V8. The best sound to me was going into the V8 and right into the front of the Quilter - having the master volume control on the back of the V8 really helps for this setup. I preferred the sound of the Quilter on it's own vs the V8 into the effects return of the Steelaire.

The three knob reverb on the Quilter is really nice too. Hats off to Quilter and Brad Sarno for making such great steel guitar equipment.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 2:05 pm    

to my ear, there's something about the V8 into the front of the Quilter preamp that clicks! Having the gain stages worked out is key.

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2022 6:27 pm    

I realize this is an old thread, but for anyone running a V-8 into a Quilter Tone Block; what are the correct gain stage settings referenced in this thread?

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2022 7:36 pm    

I have the input and output on the V8 straight up 12 o'clock, input on the Quilter 11:00 and master wide open. I'm using a Quilter 101 mini on the Full Q setting