The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing Bitdefender
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 4:35 am    

My partner has acquired Bitdefender and I can use it as well. It has a cleaning facility I need.

Do I need to disable Avast or Windows Defender to use it?

Do I need to disable them merely to use the cleaning facility?

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 7:37 am    

Quote:
Do I need to disable Avast or Windows Defender to use it?
Yes & Yes.
Quote:
Do I need to disable them merely to use the cleaning facility?
Yes

Normally you want to have only one anti-virus program and one malware program stored on your computer. When you have more than one anti-virus program the anti-virus programs fight each other, greatly slow down your computer and can cause your computer to act erratic and/or crash.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 6:37 am    

I personally never disable Windows Defender after installing another anti-virus program. Defender being part of Microsoft and Windows is usually the first to receive updates for zero day exploits targeting the Windows OS. While this may not always be the case, it is worth it to leave it alone just in case. I use it along side of Malwarebytes and trust them both.

In fact, there are some people and companies who only rely upon Defender.

As for cleaning my PC, I use CCleaner to do that, manually. I have it as a right click option on my recycle bin. Just before I shut down the PC, I run CCleaner to empty temporary files and browser caches. I do NOT let it touch the Windows Registry! CCleaner is only useful if you know what you are doing with it. Otherwise, it can harm your computer if misconfigured.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 28 Sep 2022 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 10:25 am    

I only use Defender and malwarebytes.

Programs that offer registry cleaning or "speed up" many times do more harm than good.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 1:57 am    

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll bear these things in mind as I move forward.

I use CCleaner regularly, but still the 'puter is really bogged down. I don't know how much harm a cleaning facility could be.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 6:38 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Thank you, gentlemen. I'll bear these things in mind as I move forward.

I use CCleaner regularly, but still the 'puter is really bogged down. I don't know how much harm a cleaning facility could be.

There are a couple ways a cleaner program could cause harm to a computer. One is if while cleaning entries in the Registry it removes a vital entry or tree thinking it is just clutter. Another is if a temporary file is actively in use and needed during a restart it could damage an update in progress. The third way is if it empties system temporary files after an update has completed, but the update goes bad. There wouldn't be any saved files in the Temp folder to restore the previous state or configuration.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 10:08 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
I use CCleaner regularly, but still the 'puter is really bogged down.

If the computer is bogged down after removing temp files, it might be low on usable RAM. Do you know how much RAM is installed and do you know whether the operating system is 32 or 64 bits?

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 12:27 pm    

How old is the computer and what MS operating sysintem?? Older systems running windows 7, 8, and 10 eventually get to the point where they bog down. The hardware just can't keep up with changes in software. Current software is written to take advantage of the latest hardware advances. With the end of Windows 10 support, Windows 11 is in our near future. Most computers 5 years and older will not be able to update to Windows 11.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 8:14 am    

It's a Win 10 64-bit system with 4 gig RAM.

I'm starting to see where this goes with a waning OS, and time to upgrade.

Thanks again, all.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 11:11 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
It's a Win 10 64-bit system with 4 gig RAM.

I'm starting to see where this goes with a waning OS, and time to upgrade.

Thanks again, all.

You can add lots more RAM to a 64 bit os. I recently doubled mine from 16 to 32 gb. PM me if you want a link to the RAM I use. It matches what I installed when I built my computer in 2018.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 5:02 pm    

Charlie,

I agree with Wiz that an inexpensive way to improve computer performance is to add additional random access memory or ram for short.

While some of the 64 bit Windows operating systems are capable of using up to 2 TB of ram, Windows 10 Home has a built-in limit of 128GB of ram. However, your computer motherboard may have a much lower limit of 8GB, 16GB or 32GB of ram. If you want to keep the ram that is already in your computer then the ram you add needs to match the ram you have.

Because there are so many different considerations, I use the utility programs by Crucial, a memory manufacturer.

The advisor suggests upgrades after you tell your computer specifications.

The downloadable program examines what ram is on the computer, how much ram the computer motherboard can handle and then offers products that will match your existing hardware.

I've used the Crucial online program for years and the advice has always been good. Crucial is a mainline memory manufacturer and their products come with a lifetime warranty. Finally, whatever memory you purchase ships with instructions on how to install the memory.

https://www.crucial.com/articles/about-memory/is-my-ram-compatible-with-my-motherboard

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 8:03 pm    

I also use Crucial, namely Ballistix RAM. I always buy it in matched pairs. I think the OP would benefit from getting a 16 GB or 32 gb kit of two sticks losing the 4 gigs on the board.

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 10:18 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
I also use Crucial, namely Ballistix RAM. I always buy it in matched pairs. I think the OP would benefit from getting a 16 GB or 32 gb kit of two sticks losing the 4 gigs on the board.

I agree that your suggestion would make quite a difference in performance but it still boils down to what is the maximum amount of ram and in what configuration the computer motherboard supports. Some older DDR3 motherboards are limited to 4GB or 8GB of ram. In some cases the motherboard may only support a one DIMM or two DIMM configuration when ram memory is maxed out.

Ballistix ram is great for gaming where the best performance is required but it is also Crucials most expensive ram. I've never had an issue using Crucial's regular ram memory offerings. My experience has been audio production typically doesn't require best ram performance even when running a bunch of virtual instruments. For video production using best performance ram does make a difference.

Hopefully Charlie will soon update this thread with his thoughts and any additional questions that is on his mind.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 2:18 am    

Crucial is what we recommend on the Dell support forums for non-Dell branded memory. Dell's have a long history of compatibility issues with non-Dell branded memory. Crucial is guaranteed to work in a Dell.

32GB of RAM is overkill except for specific applications. My recording studio desktop has 16GB RAM and I've never used over 8GB (total) on a memory intensive recording program (or any application).

An SSD over a mechanical hard drive is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 4 Oct 2022 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2022 3:55 am    

Gentlemen: I'm feeling an embarrassment of riches about all the responses. Bitdefender would be free to me; there aren't funds available
beyond free. My uses for my computer are banking and visiting the Forum, and it gets around fast enough for that.
It only took a second after I pressed 'post reply' for the page to change. As my Dad said, "What's time to a hog?"

I have probably reached the Peter Principle when it comes to computers. Nonetheless, I've read the replies and greatly appreciate your attention.
Given that I'm using Win 10, have the deficiencies you've stated, and that I have a broken headphone jack, a new laptop would be the way to go.

But I must say: given my measly knowledge and requirements, it's a wonderful thing to be able to ask this Forum
such a small thing and get back so much. Truly humbling and embarrassing, but we're here because, in part, someone else could benefit.
This is the greatest place in the virtual world. Nowhere else could one find so many thoughtful responses for one to consider.

Thank you for your considerations.