The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Benoit Brochure [CLOSE]
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 10:56 am    

Several years ago, I walked into the basement of the Millennium hotel just off the plane and met Carroll Benoit in the hall there showing his line of resonator guitars. [I didn't know it at the time but the Big E was getting ready to open the ISGC so just about everybody was in the ballroom.]

Anyway, Carroll invited me to sit down and try some of his guitars. I was anxious as I had heard a lot about him for a couple of years earlier. These guitars were absolutely gorgeous and had a very nice sound. I spent a lot of time there until I heard all the applause from the concert asking who was on. They told me it was Buddy Emmons. Well, I couldn't get there fast enough although I hated to leave this nest of beautiful guitars. I considered, but I had to pass due to economics.

Anyway, If you are a Benoit owner and would like to have this brochure, give me a shout if you want it n/c. You must be an owner though and provide some proof, perhaps a verifiable photo etc., otherwise I'll just keep it in my collection of memorabilia. Lemme know.

Please close this. The brochure is enroute to Larry.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 29 Sep 2022 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 11:32 am    

Carroll is a great guy and a superb builder. I met him several years ago (online and over the phone) on a project we cooked up.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 6:43 pm    

Yessir, he was very patient and accommodating letting me try any of his fine guitars that weren't marked sold.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 7:09 pm    

Might want to contact HowardR on the forum. He commissioned some of Carroll's greatest works of art.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 5:24 am    

I don't need the brochure, thank you, but I'm a proud Benoit owner. Carroll is the salt of the earth and though now retired, he created an incredible legacy of instruments for future generations to enjoy. His visually stunning guitars really "sing" in a unique way.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 11:22 am     Benoit

Aloha Jerry..I would be very interested if you could make me a copy? I bought this Benoit from Sam Turner. That is a very generous offer on your part! USPS 5777 Waipouli Road,Kapaa, HI 96746. Mahalo Nui Loa, Larry

Last edited by Larry Allen on 29 Sep 2022 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 11:42 am    

I’m not around other dobro players all that often in my corner of Northern California, and unfortunately I have never played or have even seen in person a Benoit guitar. And though it’s still on the bucket list, when Carroll was active I never made it to the Texas show.

From all the photos over the years I have certainly admired Carroll’s guitars - some of the prettiest resonators ever built and some innovative designs.

If you think of bluegrass music as more or less the “home base” for lap style dobro, one thing I have never been able to figure out is why Carroll’s guitars aren’t seen being played by many bluegrass players.

Is there something about the sound to where they aren’t so great for example when trying to compete against an obnoxiously loud banjo?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 11:44 am    

You got it Larry. I'll send it out right away. Congratulations on your acquistion of this beautiful guitar. One of a kind instrument from one of the world's finest craftsmen.

NOMB, but you might want to remove your personal information etc. from this thread. I have recorded it already.

This topic can be closed now. Thanks. JO.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 11:47 am     Benoit

Very Happy