The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  frequencies of C6 lap steel guitar strings
Martin Maciejewski

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 6:30 am    

I recently purchased and assembled a CB Gitty lap steel guitar kit from Amazon dot com ($55). I am amazed at how nice it sounds. I installed the C6 strings that came with the kit. I am having a lot of fun with this instrument and I have decided to make another lap steel guitar with a larger piece of wood and more expensive components.

I am concerned that I may have tuned the six strings one octave too low. I tuned the strings as follows:
string 6 -- C3, 130.8 Hz
string 5 -- E3, 164.8 Hz
string 4 -- G3, 196.0 Hz
string 3 -- A3, 220.0 Hz
string 2 -- C4, 261.6 Hz
string 1 -- E4, 329.6 Hz

Have I tuned the strings one octave too low? (I am afraid to tighten the strings any more than I already have because the strings might break.)

Thank you,

Marty Maciejewski

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 6:46 am    

I'm more used to string gauges than hertz. John Ely's site has some recommended string gauges for C6 https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/tunings/my_tunings.php

In your case, depending on scale length, recommended string gauges would be 36, 30, 26 ,21, 17, 14

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 9:41 am     Re: frequencies of C6 lap steel guitar strings

Martin Maciejewski wrote:
I am concerned that I may have tuned the six strings one octave too low. I tuned the strings as follows:
string 6 -- C3, 130.8 Hz
string 5 -- E3, 164.8 Hz
string 4 -- G3, 196.0 Hz
string 3 -- A3, 220.0 Hz
string 2 -- C4, 261.6 Hz
string 1 -- E4, 329.6 Hz

Have I tuned the strings one octave too low?

Marty,

You have the strings tuned correctly. String 2 = C4 = middle C

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 9:52 am    

E4 is the top string of standard tuning for guitar. So you could not possibly go up an octave on any normal-type scale instrument. So those are the correct notes for standard 6-string C6 with E on top.

You can get an idea of specific tensions on this page - https://tension.stringjoy.com/ - you'll need to input your scale length, string gauges, and each note in the tuning. Beyond these control variables, specific materials and winding technique may affect actual tension. But this should get you in the ballpark. I find around 30 pounds per string, plus or minus a few pounds, to be pretty good. Unless you want to bend behind the bar, in which case you might go lighter.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 10:40 am    

They actually have a great video on that site about picking the right tension. Their suggestion is lighter in the higher strings, heavier in the middle, and slightly less tension on the very bottom strings. Found it fascinating and it corrected a lot of issues I was having with buzzing.