The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Lyric?
Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 11:59 am    

Wondering about this guitar...? For sale locally, looking for some info...also could be available for sale if I attain it...what can you tell me about it? Worth? Let me know if you have interest or info.

Last edited by Alan Rudd on 24 Sep 2022 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 12:00 pm    

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2022 12:24 pm    

Those are nice guitars. 50s era probably. They came in two main flavors...the ones with two pickups per neck, black fretboard, and normal metal tuners (as played by Jules Ah See) and this kind, with white fretboard, pickup covers over a single pickup, and the clear tuner heads.

One major player of this model was Barney Isaacs. Apparently those plastic tuner heads could break off...I was told Barney would get out a pair of needle nose pliers to retune his instrument in later years!

Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 4:44 am    

Thanks, Nic!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 5:15 am    

I have a triple-neck T8 of your version of the Lyric. I think it's an excellent steel. I think I'm gonna scale back to, at most, double-neck steels, so mine's for sale - it's over in the For Sale section. Absolutely nothing to do with the sound - I think mine sounds great, and if I sell it, I may well seek out a D8.

Mine also has the plexiglass tuner buttons. No problems yet. They seem to be pretty strong. But it's not a big thing to re-button tuners if the originals crumble or split. I see no tendency of these plexiglass keystones to crumble like many of the button nitro tuners on a lot of old guitars and steels do. But any plastic can split when put under pressure for a long time. Properly replaced tuner buttons tend to slightly devalue, let's say, a vintage Les Paul Junior or othere vintage Gibsons with that style of button. However, those buttons crumble so frequently that it is often just considered a maintenance item like tubes or electrolytic capacitors in a vintage tube amp. But that's vintage guitars - I'm not sure the vast majority of steel players would flinch a nanometer at the thought of a steel like this having replaced buttons, as long as it was done well.

If one has problems with the buttons, it is definitely better to just replace the buttons than to replace the whole tuner assembly. And for heaven's sake, don't drill holes and put on modern tuners that don't fit. On a vintage LP Junior, this is sacrilege, and I think even a lot of steel players would consider that undesirable.