The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Melobar model
Daniele Valentino

Rome, Italy
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 3:04 pm    

Hi, i'm a new member from Italy and i found this Melobar for 340 dollars. do you know the model and if it is worth the price?thanks

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 9:10 pm    

It’s an ok instrument. Not great in tone or volume range. See if you can get the price down a bit to 200 - 240 max. Also found the sustain was poor due to the nut material and the action needed to be slightly higher and string spacing was wide(which is subjective could be a little closer like how I prefer)

However As a beginner steel it’s ok. More than you should spend in the beginning but not too pricey I guess. Honestly I recommend a cheap 100 dollar Chinese steel to start. So you can learn about what you like.

Played one funnily enough in Denmark street here in London. Wasn’t impressed.

Check out Thomann.de since you are in Italy. They are a German audio company and sell professional audio equipment and instruments. Excellent service and they have lap steels. Including a cheap Chinese beginner one. They usually deliver in 3-5 days.

Start cheap and learn what you like and build from there.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Daniele Valentino

Rome, Italy
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 1:36 am    

thanks for the comprehensive answer. I already own a Peavy Powerslide as a beginner instrument and I was thinking of adding an 8 string but they are not easy to find (in Italy they are very rare). I've seen some Sx laps around $ 300 but I'd be more for vintage laps. Any ideas for a maximum budget of 6-700 dollars?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 2:50 am    

If you like what you have there........a proper nut and bridge can be made. You could increase the string height and also maybe get more sustain out of it. That to me is one nice looking lapsteel. It is a string through the body correct? I think that should give you a lot of sustain if you get new hardware made from aluminum or brass.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 2:55 am    

Go for it the or negotiate with this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134093587091?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 4:04 am    

If it’s like my 6 string version, the nut is actually made of architectural bronze, but the bridge is a phenolic material. I never had an issue with sustain for what it’s worth, but my pickup is different — mine takes a Strat-type pickup, and I have a Seymour Duncan noiseless in there now.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Daniele Valentino

Rome, Italy
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 4:05 am    

Great value for that Rickenbacker but it's budget limit(price+shipping+Italian vat). I saw here in the forum the Melberts 8 strings for 500 dollars, they are very appreciated. experiences?

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 4:24 am    

Go for the melobar and adjust as you grow and gain more playing time you'll know what you like. Easy adjustments can be made.

I get it import duties etc. Remember though prices on ebay are NOT set in stone. I picked up guitars and other bits regularly for $100's off. It is only merely a guide price.

If I were you I'd speak to the seller first and explain how it will go to a loving home and what you can afford plus import duty etc.

People in this world are kind. You'd be surprised. Good luck either way. Very Happy

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 5:39 pm    

Well as the builder; I've never heard someone say Melobar didn't have any sustain. That picture is of the very first Melobar Lap Steels called the LS model, and as stated it is the Bronze nut with over a 1/4" action so how that would be too low I don't know, we never sent LS models to UK so if you could send a photo of that guitar Stefan I'd really appreciate it to see why you said what you did. I don't have
a sample or a video of that model but Steve Green did a video on youtube of a LS model - I'll attach it. Doesn't sound that terrible to me but it was our early models with the Paul Barth pickup which a lot of guys liked the tone of though it's not real loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJapJxVRQVM
Hope that helps.

Todd Opheim

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 7:46 pm    

Hey there - I have the LS model 6 string with the single coil pickup. I paid $325 and thought it was a decent deal, I wouldn't let it go for any less. Solid guitar, total step up IMO from the the low end China models around. I did have to fix a ground problem on it though not a big deal at all. I think $340 for that is fair.