The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feet Rogers- Private Recording-The Lanai Sessions
Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 12:55 pm    

I've been on a Feet Rogers tangent lately working on getting his sound.
I already had a Post War Bakelite Panda, so I strung it up in his tuning.
Saw a photo of him with a Harmony 303A amp and figured I'd give it a try.
When it arrived, the cabinet had been damaged from shipping pretty good. Reverb refunded me the full amount ($250) Even the chassis was knocked loose. Mostly particle board, I delicately took the chassis out and any other support planks screws, etc. Re-glued epoxy'd, contact cemented the tolex back in place. Came out nice. Put it all back together. Plugged in my Feet Rogers Bakelite and it sounds really really on par with the tone in the Lanai Sessions. The harmonics pop easily and the dyad's have a slight overdriven tone especially when you slide into a chord. Very happy with the outcome. If you are looking for that tone, this is right there.

Cody Farwell

Sunland, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2020 11:51 pm    

These recordings are still somewhat new to me, but I've been playing them on repeat.

Does anyone know if the tuning he's playing on these recordings is the D major tuning he used mentioned in another thread? I believe it was hi-low: f# d a F# D D (octave down)

Sanoe is just beautiful.

Steve Marinak

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 4:47 am    

Cody,
Yes, I've been using the following and it seems correct.
The Low D I may actually increase the gauge to 0.062w or 0.065w. It seems a little floppy at 60w to me.

The other thing I'm going to try today is to switch back to standard 440 tuning. My open string riffs sound way out of tune. Wondering how others tune when using more open string riffs like this style.

Dmaj 6-String Feet Rogers
Gauge_____String___ Pitch
0.013_______1________ F#
0.016_______2________D
0.021_______3________A
0.026w_____4________F#
0.034w_____5________D
0.060w_____6________D

Steve Marinak

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 5:09 am    

Cody, another suggestion is to get the AnyTune app on your phone. I drop it down a half step when playing these songs and it seems to fit the tuning of the guitar much better. Many of these old recordings are not in the pitch they were played.

Cody Farwell

Sunland, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2020 6:56 pm    

Thanks Steve!

Yeah I usually try and get things in tune with Ableton when I'm transcribing. I noticed it was up a bit as well.

I really like playing in this tuning. It might just have a permanent spot on my long scale guitar.

Roger Fletcher

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 11:14 pm    

Here is part of an article written by Jerry Byrd in the 1970s:

"I had really hoped to do a piece on David "Feet" Rogers—the great steel guitarist with the "Sons of Hawaii," but it is difficult to get these Hawaiians in a corner long enough to get the information. They simply do not like to talk about themselves. So, after two "missed" and "cancelled" appointments, I gave it up. But David is a shy person to begin with. Except when he's playing steel guitar! To those of you who do not know of him or his work, I want to introduce him to you and give you a light sketch of his background and his music. So meet David Rogers!

He is tall and looks Hawaiian, even though the name Rogers belies the fact. He must be about 90% Hawaiian and 10% Rogers. He is a retired merchant seaman and he told me once in one of our "intermission" conversations that he had been around the world something like 8 or 9 times! Now — in Hawaii they say "he's from the Rogers clan—all steel guitar players." And it's true. Benny Rogers (now deceased) played terrific steel guitar and is heard on many Hawaiian recordings, particularly those of Genoa Keawe, that lovely lady with an unmatchable falsetto voice. Then there's his father— or as he's known here—"Pop" Rogers, who, by the way, is still playing quite regularly. Steel guitar is a tradition in the Rogers family!

David—or "Feet", as his buddies call him—plays an old 6-string black bakelite Rickenbacker (same as the one I used to play) and uses an E major tuning with a G# on top: 1st: G#, 2nd: E, 3rd: B, 4th: G#. His speciality is his single-string harmonic work and I rate his the best in the world on harmonic technique. Every note just simply blooms; perfect in clarity; attack; and expression. Words cannot express his sound—it has to be heard. To do this I most heartily recommend to you any of the albums made by this great group, the Sons of Hawaii. Others in the group are Eddie Kamae, leader and fantastic ukulele artist; Dennis Kamakahi, 6- and 12-string guitar; Moe Keale, M.C., vocal and ukulele, and Joe Marshall, bass, M.C.

Some of their early recordings include the legendary "Gabby" Pahinui, a many-talented guy. He was replaced by Dennis Kamakahi. But David's steel guitar is the identifying mark of their pure Hawaiian sound. Their albums can be ordered from the "House of Music," or Sears-Roebuck, both outlets in the Ala Moana Centre here in Honolulu."

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 8:33 am    

^^^^
Too bad the interview never happened. It would have helped to flesh out a somewhat shadowy figure and presumably answered many questions. Thanks for posting that. It's really nice to get some thoughts from Jerry about the esteem in which he held Feet Rogers and others.

Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 5:13 pm    

I was digging around for "Feet" Rogers music on youtube and I found the recording that kicked this thread off.

It is well worth a listen for those who haven't heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYhWq9pzvPI

This is the song that made me want to hear more of Feet. Also amazing playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVm3XVKafQ

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 9:19 pm    

Ok....this is amazing. Thank you!!

Travis Brown

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2022 1:31 am    

I found this thread months back, and the Lanai Recordings have become a regular listen for me. Thanks so much for saving this for us!

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 8:10 am     Feets Rodgers

Not to hijack the thread, but do any of you have the National Geographic Music of Hawaii LP or cassette?
I had the cassette version, since lost, it had Feets on a few vocalcuts and 2 instrumentals Moana Chimes and Hilo March, never reissued on cd as far as I know, LPs are online, pretty rare stuff.
Aloha. Bill Flores

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:29 am    

Feet is probably my favorite Hawaiian players after Jules. His style was just so beautiful and pure. His taste was exquisite and his harmonics technique impeccable.