The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Tone Block 202 vrs Mach 3
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 1:46 pm    

I have a Quilter ToneBlock 202. I love it. But sometimes I want the flexibility of two channels.

The new Mach 3 looks promising. Has anyone tried the Mach 3 for pedal steel? How does it compare to the 202?

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 2:05 am    

I had the 202 for a while. I used it with the blockdock and a variety of speakers and liked it. After a steel/tele gig where I spent the whole set twiddling knobs every time I switched instruments, I traded that in for the Mach 3, which has two distinct channels.

I like the tone of the 202 better in general. It has less flexibility, but, to my ears, a better core tone. The tone is there in the Mach 3, but there is so much variety that it can be a little hard to nail. Also, while the amp in the Mach 3 is technically removable, it is not set up to carry around as an emergency backup amp the way the 202 is. I needed to acquire a DV Mark micro 50 to fulfill that role.

The Mach 3 does have a couple of advantages, though. As I said, the two channels are a big plus if you are doing double duty (putting an eq pedal in line to accommodate the two instruments never really cut it for me). It is a few pounds lighter (not that the 202 and blockdock are heavy by any metric). And it seems to me that the Mach 3 is noticeably louder. I forget the wattage ratings, but it just seems to get up to a full stage volume (if you're going that rout) without feeling strained compared to the 202. This may be a misconception, never having compared them side by side, but it is how it seemed to me.

There are a few other Mach 3 users on here who seem to prefer it to other Quilters. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 2:35 am    

Picked up a Mach 3 couple weeks back, and it is really an overall step up from my other Quilter amps. 2 discrete channels, each with a wide selection of pretty accurate starting points for various amps, is exactly what I needed when pulling double duty. No menus, just knobs is an unmeasurable strong plus.

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Hugo Knef

Vallejo , California
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2022 5:56 am    

What I have done for a 2 channel setup for the toneblock 202 is to plug a superblock Uk
Headphone out into the effects return on the 202. Also now have a backup amp ready if one goes down.