The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leonard pedal steel guitar?
Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 11:28 am    

Hey y'all! Thanks for all the wonderful resources on here, I'm excited to start joining in as I continue to learn this beautiful instrument.

I bought my first PSG off Reverb about four months ago; as far as the specs of it, the seller mentioned that it has a George LE-66 pickup and a Sho-Bud dustcatcher fingerboard. I was able to replace the strings, get it tuned up, and I've been playing on it ever since. However, since the time I was doing my initial research about the steel, I have yet to be able to find any info on "Leonard" pedal steel guitars. The only google result I've found is the actual Reverb posting that I bought it from.

Anyway, I was just wondering if some more experienced eyes might know something about my steel guitar! Thanks y'all, if there's any info you need please just let me know.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 4:27 pm    

Never seen anything like it, but there's lots of things I've never seen. The changer mount appears to have some sort of anti-detuning web. There are some similarities in a few places that do look sort of familiar to another make that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps ZB.

The only Leonard name I'm familiar with in the steel guitar community is the late Leonard Stadler who built the Marlen, but I certainly don't see any similarities here to his guitars.

If you have some pics of the underside mechanics, that might be a clue as to the build design.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 8:09 pm    

What looks unusual and caught my eye. The guitar has 2 adjustable legs installed on the front. Looks if the adjustment clutches are being used as stops so the pedal bar will not slide up the legs when the pedals are pressed.
And the back 2 legs has no adjustment for an uneven floor.

Some pictures of the linkage, bell cranks, and rods underneath the body would help.

Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:14 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Never seen anything like it, but there's lots of things I've never seen. The changer mount appears to have some sort of anti-detuning web. There are some similarities in a few places that do look sort of familiar to another make that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps ZB.

The only Leonard name I'm familiar with in the steel guitar community is the late Leonard Stadler who built the Marlen, but I certainly don't see any similarities here to his guitars.

If you have some pics of the underside mechanics, that might be a clue as to the build design.

Thanks for the reply! Sure thing, here are some pics of the mechanics.

Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:18 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
What looks unusual and caught my eye. The guitar has 2 adjustable legs installed on the front. Looks if the adjustment clutches are being used as stops so the pedal bar will not slide up the legs when the pedals are pressed.
And the back 2 legs has no adjustment for an uneven floor.

Some pictures of the linkage, bell cranks, and rods underneath the body would help.

Bobby, are you notified of me replying without me quoting you? I just posted some pictures of the underside mechanics above. I appreciate your reply! Yes, since I've set it up I've had the back legs on two blocks of wood, since my house is 100 years old and starting to fold toward the middle Laughing

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:45 am    

Thanks for posting the pics but I got nothing, sorry. Appears to be well machined very basic mechanics. I guess if it plays and sounds good, that's all that matters.

Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 6:52 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Thanks for posting the pics but I got nothing, sorry. Appears to be well machined very basic mechanics. I guess if it plays and sounds good, that's all that matters.

No worries, I appreciate you taking a look. Looks good with the Strobostomp and sounds good along with other instruments, so I guess I won't worry too much!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 6:13 pm    

parts guitar , if it sounds and works good , just play it and have fun

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 7:15 pm    

What Damir said!! Looks pretty solid to me. Play it and have some fun.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 8:03 pm    

Daniel, The Forum is not set up to send a notice for replies to a post, But I check any post that I post on, So if there is any new posts, Or if any questions are asked, I see them.

If the clutches on the front legs hold good when legs are extended, And the pedal bar will fit on the, Now back legs.
A couple stop sleeves (With pins or screws) could be placed on the back legs, And be traded with the front legs, That would free up the adjustable legs to be used for the back legs.
One of the major steel builders used sleeves with screws on their student model guitar front legs, As stops for the pedal bar, That worked well.

Good Luck with your guitar, Happy Steelin.

Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 4:40 am    

it looks like to me that the front legs shiuld be on the back.I have same stlye legs on my Carter with the metal that hold the pedal bar in place leaving me adjusstment on back legs. Just my idea. Bob Moore

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 12:21 pm    

I agree with Bob. Put the front legs on the back. Stabilize the pedal bar by drilling a hole right through the pedal bar and leg and put a bolt through it. You will then have two adjustable legs In the back for leveling and for tilting to your preference. RP

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 8:21 pm    

If the pedal bar will fit on the back legs shown in the pictures, Ace hardware should have collars that would fit the back legs as stops for the pedal bar, With no extra work. And use the present attachment system.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 8:55 pm    

It's all up to Daniel of course, but as long as the guitar is stable and not giving him any wobble problems, I don't see any need to drill a bunch of holes and reconfigure the whole pedal bar and legs just to swap them.

IMO, he'd be better off to just buy 2 adjustable legs for the rear if and when a need arises....seems simpler to me.

Since he's just learning, he may not have a need to be moving the guitar around on uneven stages at this point.

Daniel's guitar though, Daniel's call.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2022 11:13 am    

I agree with Bob, think legs are reversed. Looks like 10th string-is not on peg good that holds string ball end at changer. Push it on pin good or could break pin off.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.