The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resonator Recommendations
Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:04 am    

Hey everyone. I'm looking to pick up a squareneck dobro as another secondary instrument. I recently acquired a Beard Road-O-Phonic. I love the build quality on it but think I would prefer an more standard resonator. Any recommendations on a good modern sounding dobro?

Thanks!

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Last edited by Corbin Pratt on 20 Sep 2022 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Lloyd Walsh

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:18 am    

I went through a similar process recently but for a square neck. There are good replies in that thread if you look back about two weeks ago in this section. I found affordable bliss with a Republic Tricone. I’m guessing the quality of the single cones are pretty good too but will defer to those who know. Anyway, wanted to share my experience and satisfaction for a quality instrument at a good price point. Best of luck!
Rookie Steel player (pedal and non-pedal)
Instagram Artwork profile: lloydwalsh7405

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:23 am    

Thanks Lloyd. I am looking for a squareneck. I'll check that thread out. The Beard Model E is catching my eye, but it is very expensive.

Lloyd Walsh

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:49 am    

Good grief, i need to read more carefully before replying.. haha!

I found a used Republic in a music shop up in Austin Texas, seems the company doesn’t have any new ones available but maybe one of their dealers does, I didn’t dig too deep.

Last edited by Lloyd Walsh on 20 Sep 2022 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:51 am    

Gold Tone builds some nice resonators.
They have some that Beard puts the finishing touches on
I have this one.
Erv

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 4:45 pm    

I like the all-solid-wood Goldtones (PSRM?). The plywood models don't thrill me. I played a metal body Republic squareneck (I think it was a tricone) recently that absolutely knocked me out.

Lloyd Walsh

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 7:43 pm    

Hey Mike, did you play the Republic square neck tricone at Austin Vintage Guitars?

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 12:56 am    

Quote:
Mike Harris: I like the all-solid-wood Goldtones (PSRM?). The plywood models don't thrill me.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Goldtone PBS resos were laminated. I think the only difference is the quality/figure on the top veneer.

I would not be put off by a plywood reso - after all, the Mike Auldridge Signature resos by Beard, generally rated as one of the best models ever, are all birch laminates. It's more a matter of do you want a traditional bluegrass tone like the early model Dobros, or a more modern tone the bigger body resos give?

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 1:10 am    

I'd consider driving to Louisville and buying this reso: Sehy's were considered great resos at reasonable prices (he's retired now, I believe), and rosewood and spruce at this price is not bad (currently asking $1400, you pick it up - see last post in the thread):

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=383294

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 5:43 am    

I'm very happy with my Beard Deco Phonic. I believe mine is the model 27. They are reasonably priced.

But lots of good options out there.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 7:56 am    

Yes the DecoPhonics are very good and a great value. Keep in mind there are different schools thought about dobros and whether plywood guitars are actually inferior to solid wood guitars. I have been playing dobro for about 40 years and I’ve had good sounding guitars of both kinds. If you think of a dobro as a speaker cabinet, plywood really makes very little difference in that sound. It’s all about baffling and the construction of the interior which Beard does really well in all of his guitars.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 3:44 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
Quote:
Mike Harris: I like the all-solid-wood Goldtones (PSRM?). The plywood models don't thrill me.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Goldtone PBS resos were laminated. I think the only difference is the quality/figure on the top veneer.

The top of the line of the three wood body models is the PBS-M which is solid mahogany.

Corbin also started a thread asking for suggestions on the Resohangout forum, and I directed him to Tony Langley, who took over making Appalachian resos several years ago from the late Tom Warner, and he posted on that forum that he has been in touch with Tony.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 4:17 pm    

Thanks Everyone for all of the help. I’m working with Tony at Appalachian on getting a reso made for me. I really appreciate it!

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 7:53 am    

Hi, I can’t say enough good things about the Decophonic. I have the 57 which is an E body guitar. I still can get over how powerful yet tone filled this guitar is.

For myself- when deciding on whether to go solid vs ply - the discussion centered around the fact that I’d be using this guitar in 95% acoustic settings where we are all miced up.
The thinking was that if I played a ply guitar I would have a separate sound “lane” in the overall mix of the band. I wouldn’t be impinging on the sonic lane of the solid wood acoustic guitar. It seemed to make sense to me so that’s the direction I took.

If I need the guitar in the electric band, it has the pickup and I run through JD Aura preamp through the board. Both worlds covered.

Hope this was helpful. Eric
Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases