The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Student Model
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 6:35 am    

I've never seen one of the ZB student model guitars. They had 11 strings. What was the copedent on them? They seem to be pretty rare. How many were made?

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 8:10 am    

I've seen more than a few for sale, but they have all been 10 strings. I never looked close enough at that album cover to see that it's 11 strings Whoa!

My guess is that it was made special for Mr. Beck by Mr. Brumley.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 9:38 am    

In the 70's, when I upgraded from a ZB S10 to a ZB D10, my friend and I used his electronic/tv/stereo store to become a dealer for ZB, mostly so I could get my D10 for dealer cost (almost half off). We sold 2 guitars (by word of mouth only - no advertising), a D10 and a 10 string student model. I think Zane built the one in the pic as an 11 string because that is what he played. It's basically a ZB pro model under the hood, in an economy body. Best student model I ever saw.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 10:02 am    

I have that album. It sounds fantastic. Probably has something to do with the player as well.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 10:11 am    

He was an amazing player, for sure. Very Happy

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 3:11 pm    

I would like too have that album it is Zane playing Beautiful country tunes.
Most of Zane's album cuts were jazz with a few country tunes.
Yes Bob Zane Beck was top notch steel man an person.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 9:56 pm    

I think this was the last one sold. Ironically, i saw one in local Craigslist at same time

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2964453&highlight=#2964453

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 3:42 am    

My first steel was a red 10-string ZB Student.

Although it was meaningless to me at the time, I recall the dealer (Eric Snowball of ESE Music in Maidstone, Kent) 'explaining' to me that the ZB 'student' model was superior to the Emmons Guitar Co's equivalent (was that a Lil Buddy? I've forgotten now) because the ZB employed a 'pro changer' and was mechanically identical to the glitzy-looking pro models with their lacquer finishes.

I'm sure it was fundamentally true. The same sales-pitch worked on me many years later when I chose a Zum Encore for a 'fly-guitar'. The Encore was superior mechanically to Zum's Stage One in respect of its changer.

If I remember correctly, the ZB Students came in red, blue and black - just the molded tops were coloured, all of them had the brushed-aluminium cabinets.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 4:00 am    

I thought the Lil Buddy was NOT an Emmons product. Wasn't their student model the GS1, or something like that?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 4:03 am    

I did say that I couldn't remember.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 4:06 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:

Although it was meaningless to me at the time, I recall the dealer (Eric Snowball of ESE Music in Maidstone, Kent) 'explaining' to me that the ZB 'student' model was superior to the Emmons Guitar Co's equivalent (was that a Lil Buddy? I've forgotten now) because the ZB employed a 'pro changer' and was mechanically identical to the glitzy-looking pro models with their lacquer finishes.

I'm sure it was fundamentally true. The same sales-pitch worked on me many years later when I chose a Zum Encore for a 'fly-guitar'. The Encore was superior mechanically to Zum's Stage One in respect of its changer.

If I remember correctly, the ZB Students came in red, blue and black - just the molded tops were coloured, all of them had the brushed-aluminium cabinets.

Roger I believe the Little Buddy had nothing to do with Emmons . I also believe that the Emmons student model was itself a steel with a “pro” changer and cheaper cabinet . Nothing against ZB , I love mine , and I’ve never played a ZB student .

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 2:43 pm    

I had a ZB student model. Very similar to the one in the picture but in black and with 10 strings.

It only had one knee lever though.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 9:38 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:

The Encore had split tuning whereas the Stage One does not
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 10:23 am     Zb

My first Steel was an 11 string student model in black bought it through Garney Scheels in Stittsville Ontario in 1973 a 3 and 4...standard E Ninth with a low..?...cannot remember although it did sound like a ZB...Tom Brumley was is and will always be my Steel guitar hero...David..

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 5:36 pm    

I got my LP direct from Zane at his shop in Scranton, Ark. I wanted one of his beginner guitars so bad but just could not afford. Wife and two new babies so had to get my act together. If I have my memory correct tonight the eleven string on the LP cover he made for himself and the others were ten strings. The color on the guitar is a plastics like material sprayed on or poured on or however but was nice. Was a metal frame and changer was a pro changer and under carriage was the usual flat bar ZB system. Worked as good as any ZB guitar. As far as I was concerned it was a Pro Guitar.
J.R. Rose

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 4:22 pm    

Nice guitars, this one just showed up at my door today...

And one from a few years ago...

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 4:19 pm    

Mike, those are very nice little beginner steels. The changer is just like the pro models. Flat ZB pull bars. I never have had one but it looks like the neck is made of wood and then the Epoxy finish poured over it all. A great inexpensive guitar.
J.R.

Byron Towle

Sandwich, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 5:38 am     ZB Student Model

Here's my 10 string universal

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 6:49 am    

Byron -
Did Tom use the original changer? Some photos of the changer would be nice. That's an amazing job he did, thanks for posting.

Byron Towle

Sandwich, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 8:45 am    

Hi Mike,
Yes, he kept the original changer and pickup. I have another double neck ZB and this student model sounds better and is easier to play. Maybe the aluminum cast body contributes to the livelier sound!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 12:37 pm    

Byron, what cool little, hidden locking lever in the middle of that guitar. RP

Byron Towle

Sandwich, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 1:38 pm    

Ron, that’s a sacred steel lever to lower my F# to E. Gives me big fat chords when I double the E’s.