The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A matched set of 1948's!
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 1:28 pm    

A nice pair of '48's!

I've had this 1948 Pro Amp for a few years (unfortunately has a '53 speaker, but at least its an original P15N!)

I helped out some former bandmates/local ne'er do wells sell a few vintage pieces and they flipped this 1948 dual 8 Professional to me for a good price -it has a newer coat of varnish, the pickup bobbins had collapsed (the strings run through them!) and the leg fittings were just hardware store junk (and no legs).

Tom Brantley did a great job rebuilding the pickups, and the *original* CRL 3-way switch and post actually work!

Gary Sill made perfect fittings, and my best steel guitar buddy (and "adopted baby brother" Whoa! ) Kelcey O'Neill came up with 3 adjustable legs.

The case even works! All the hinges and latches actually operate!

Looks great, sound incredible - even stays in tone! NOW I just have to figure out whether to keep it or sell it - since I don't play 8 string non-pedal steel at all! Still trying to figure out what tunings to use.

I suck enough at 8 and 10 string PEDAL steel - not sure I want to take this on! Rolling Eyes

Oh - the amp is bone stock except for the speaker, filter caps, grounded power cord and a couple of "not tone critical" parts. Lovely sounding Atom coupling caps, octal/metal preamp tubes and 5881's!

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2022 9:44 am    

That is a great set! I would suggest tuning it to E13 and A6 (or C6 if you prefer and/or if you want to be more consistent with your 10 string pedal guitar). Or try both, A6 is an easy re-tune from C6.

If you don't think you'll play it, then maybe let it go but if you think you'll ever get around to it, that should be a really incredible sounding rig! I love my D8 E13 and A6 setup so much that I really don't feel tempted to go to pedals, at least at the moment. I have had some fun experimenting with my friend's D10 Emmons, but I find D8 non-pedal more satisfying to play. You might not feel that way (depends what you want to play of course), but I guess I am saying that a D8 non-pedal can cover a lot of ground.

Oh and as for which E13 to try, I would suggest getting 9 strings. So get the strings for:

(high to low) E C# B G# F# D B G# E. With those strings you can try the Boggs, Leon and Vance versions easily. I personally favour the Vance version, but that is personal preference.

Oh one other thought: On one hand, having one of your necks tuned to C6 is more consistent with most D10 guitars. On the other hand though, A6 is so close to E9 with A and B pedals down. If E9 is your most comfortable tuning, then A6 is like your 'pedals down' neck and E13 is like your 'no pedals' neck.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2022 10:50 am    

Nice! Since you are used to Sneeky B6 why not put that on one neck and EG#BEF#G#BE(like Sneeky A pedal down) on the the other? Or whatever you’re favorite pedal combo is. Just a thought.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 5:02 am    

That is my dream setup! A6 and E13 in any variation.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2022 9:03 am    

Correction on my previous post. The second option I mentioned would be with the Sneaky second pedal down to raise the Eb up to E.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.