The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  guitar & steel - same amp - how to??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 5:00 am    

looking at Danny muhammed on facebook how he playes thru one amp "fender twin"
guitar and steel??how is it hook up looking for some ideas on this. have to play a gig half steel half guitar coming up check him out on
AJ's good time bar need help on this
https://www.facebook.com/ajsgoodtimebar

thanks

p.w

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 8:54 am    

Paul i use a Morley ABY box with my electric guitar and steel,going into my single input quilter tt12 amp.It has seperate input controls on the ABY switch.
I have been happy with it.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 10:23 am    

If you're doing double-duty-steel-and-6-string, a lot depends on whether you're sitting or standing to play six-string.
My typical "sitting down" signal path assumes the amp is EQ'd for steel and only 1 input is in use. The 6 string chain is guitar
>F/X>EQ>A/B>VP>amp. The steel chain is steel>F/X>A/B>VP>amp.

My typical "standing up" six-string chain is guitar>pedalboard(has EQ)>A/B box>amp; steel chain is steel>F/X>VP>A/B box>amp.

Since I always stand to play six-string and my current stage amp- a Milkman half & Half- has 2 inputs I can use both and dispense with the A/B box.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 11:31 am    

Morley ABY is a good place to start ! You can also design a Pedal Board to accommodate both the Steel and the guitar ahead of the Morley (or any ABY) I ran a custom setup like this thru a single channel amp for many years.

If you have a dual input AMP such as a Fender Twin etc.. you have lots of options. In my earlier days I just used both channels on my Twin Reverb. The Steel was thru the Reverb channel, the Tele I ran dry.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 11:51 am    

Most players want entirely different gain, EQ, and effect settings for guitar and steel. If you have a two channel amp like a Twin Reverb, might use the normal channel (with EFX pedals) for the guitar and the reverb channel for the steel guitar. If you have a single-channel amp, there are lots of ways to connect the wires (mini-mixer, AB switch, etc) to switch signals, but getting two sounds that you like can be problematic.

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 1:21 pm    

I put a tube screamer between the 6 string and the ABY.....

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 3:45 pm    

Guys
I am using a stock nash 400 with boss dd-3
Delay. If you look at the link of Danny he has something going on in. His book up that's get steel and guitar with great tone??. That's what I am looking for. Thanks all for the ideas keep it coming

P.w

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 4:09 pm    

With a two-channel amp like the Twin Reverb, it's a simple matter to use one channel for steel and the other for straight guitar. You can even have reverb and tremolo on both channels with a "dirt-simple" (Torres) mod. But of course, the settings for the reverb and tremolo will be the same for both channels, since there are only one set of controls for each in the amp.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 3:21 am    

I recently purchased an active 2-1 mixer fro Saturn that works great in this capacity. Each input has its own volume control.

https://saturnworkspedals.com/product/summer-mixer-pedal/

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 4:13 am    

meh... did it for decades.. I made sure the volume was off at the pedal,unplugged the wire and stuck it into the jack on whatever instrument I was switching to... Took all of oh I dunno, 10 seconds.. tops. At times I may have had to turn a bright switch on or off, or turned a bass or treble knob.. So that may have added 5 seconds.
I seem to recall trying out an A/B box at some point. Any "benefit" realized must have been insignificant, because it didn't last more than a couple gigs...at most... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2022 6:18 am    

The main issue is - "What do you want your steel and guitar to sound like?"

If you want loud & clean pedal steel and loud & clean guitar, a Twin Reverb is great. It's loud enough for pedal steel and has two channels which can be set separately for volume and tone controls, As Donny said, if you're hell-bent for reverb and trem on both channels on the amp, a simple mod can put them on both channels. I don't think Torres invented this - people have been doing this for a very long time.

The problem many guitarists have with a Twin Reverb is that they are very heavy and very loud and clean. And many (I would say most) working guitarists don't want very loud and clean. If a high volume isn't required for pedal steel, lower power Fender amps from the Pro Reverb down to the Deluxe Reverb can be used very effectively. For really low-volume situations, I have used a Princeton Reverb. Only one channel, but that was fine in these situations.

These days, there are many good choices for overdrive/distortion/whatever, reverb, and so on. So a Twin Reverb can be made to work for a variety of sounds. And there are a lot of really good choices for high-power, incredibly lightweight solid-state Class D amps/heads that are excellent for pedal steel, and it's pretty easy to do a lightweight two-amp solution. Right now my primary rig for triple duty (pedal steel, slide guitar, standard guitar, each requiring different sounds) is a Quilter Tone Block (there are many options, I use a 201) into a small, lightweight cab with a single high-power 12" speaker for pedal steel, and whatever guitar amp I want. Lately I've been using a 5D4 Fender Deluxe, but believe it or not, I sometimes prefer an '80s Peavey Studio Pro 40 or 50 with a Telecaster for that gig. I have a bunch of smaller guitar amps. I have a pretty decent sized pedalboard with tuner, compressor, overdrive (right now using a Brent Mason sig Wampler Hot Wired V2), analog delay, digital reverb, and an active Morley Twin Mix, which is an active two-button on/off on/off switch with mix controls for each channel, I use that to switch amps. And an ABC box to handle steel, slide, and standard guitars. I have to make pretty quick switches, and I sometimes change picks, fit a slide, make pedal switches, change guitars, and so on. I don't have time to diddle around.

There are many other approaches that work. A Fryette Power Station (a tube-based reactive power soak and re-amplifier) on top of a Twin Reverb can tame the guitar channel and leave the pure loud & clean for pedal steel. We've never had it so good.