The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DVD/CD Rom Not visible in file explorer on 2 PCs
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 11:01 am    

Both this Dell Optiplex and my Lenovo laptop doesn't display the DVD/CD Rom in the list of drives any more, unless there is some data on the disk already. If I put it a blank disk, it will not see it or display the drive letter for the CD rom. It's happening on both PCs. It's real tough to use CDs or DVDs if file exploder won't see them. This started after the last round of "Upgrades" (damages) from MicroS#!T.

I have spent hours reading blogs from so-called experts, and none of them know crap. Nothing they suggest works. Comments on their blogs reflect the same non-results from others.

Any ideas???

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 12:58 pm    

Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager then restart the PC and Windows will reinstall it. Fixes a lot of problems.

LEFT click on the Windows start icon in lower left. One option should be Device Manager.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 5:42 am    

That didn't work. It only becomes visible if there is already data on the disc. Same result on both computers. I can't even format the discs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 7:18 am    

I've seen cases such as this if no CD burning program was installed.
Do you have a 3rd party burning program (not built in (or used to be built in) Windows)

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 12:33 pm    

I'll have to look, but I think I do have a 3rd party disc burning program. What puzzles me is my laptop. It has always shown the CD drive even with no disk in it. This Dell, I think it did ,but not positive. I did updates on both computers, and then the CD rom stopped showing up. If there is already data on the disk, it shows up in file explorer. Sure has me puzzled.