The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Chick Donner . . . Gone 15 Years
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 8:21 am    

Obituary for Christopher Crobaugh aka Chick Donner:

Christopher J. Crobaugh, age 61, of N. Ridgeville, Ohio passed away Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at EMH Regional Medical Center, Elyria, Ohio following a sudden illness. He was born in West Hartford, Connecticut, and grew up in Medina. He had resided in North Ridgeville the past 24 years. Mr. Crobaugh served in the US Army and National Security Agency during the Vietnam War. He received his Jurist Doctorate from John Marshall School of Law at Cleveland State University. He was a practicing Attorney in Elyria for the past 10 years. He was also a professional musician playing the Pedal Steel Guitar under the stage name "Chick Donner" in many venues in both Nashville and Cleveland areas. Mr. Crobaugh served on the North Ridgeville School Board in the 1990s. He was a member of St. Peter Catholic Church, N. Ridgeville, a life member of VFW Post 1079, Elyria, member of the American Legion, Elyria and a life member of the NRA. He was an extra class Amateur Radio operator; call letters NU8R. Surviving are his wife of 25 years Susan L. McKelvey-Crobaugh, his sister, Virginia Aslaskasen of Medina, and his father and stepmother John and Marilyn Crobaugh of Largo, FL. He was preceded in death by Mother, Mary Jeanne Crobaugh in 1990.
Services were at the David Bogner Family Funeral Home in N. Ridgeville. Father Jim Becherer officiated. Private interment will took place at the St. Francis Cemetery, Medina.

Last edited by Nick Reed on 21 Sep 2022 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 3:03 pm    

Thanks Nick for putting this up in memory of Chick.I knew a little of him thru our mutual friend Jim Florence. They ordered two ZB D-11 from Tom in 1964 I think it was. I met Nick one night by accident in a Fridays in Rockford, Maryland. We were just visiting at the bar and he mention something bout he and a friend had brought two ZB'S. Of course that got my attention.
Of course I knew the story. We had a very long visit. J.R.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 8:38 pm     Chick Donner

I was grateful to know Chick as a friend and a fellow steel player from this area. A great musician and a class act!

David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 12:13 pm    

I knew Chick very well. Played many jams and steel shows with him. Hummingbird and the Washington Pa. shows. He was a great guy and we miss him around NE Ohio area. Here is a picture of Chick and me on his left side, taken at the Mercer Pa. jam. Picture taken fall of 2002

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2022 5:18 pm    

Thanks for the great picture of Chick David. And of course of you. Good memories. J.R. Rose

Kevin Rickert

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2022 4:03 am     Chic

Thanks for posting Nick. Chris was a dear friend of mine and I was blessed for having known him. I would stay at his place when I played at the Boot Scootin Saloon in North Ridgeville. He was full of knowledge and whit and I learned alot being around him. I think of him often.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2023 7:40 am    

I met Chick at the Hummingbird jam in 2006 such a nice man he sent me pictures of his push pull crank mods, if I remember he had just past his bar exam ? And flew jets, a real interesting guy happy to share his time .

Greg Zimmer

North Central Florida
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 4:56 am    

Thanks for this post about Chick. He crossed my mind a few days ago. Like many of my friends have posted on here,he was a great guy, he is deeply missed.