The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alan Jackson in Austin
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2022 7:03 am    

Went to see Alan Jackson in Austin last night at the Moody Center. We had very good seats right in the middle of the mid-section.
The opening act, Cole (somebody) plays at AJ's club in Nashville. 4 piece band ALL fuzz guitar and supper loud bass drum. The bass and bass drum would make you cringe when they played.

Alan's band came on the mix was certainly better. However, the soundman kept trying to adjust the lead instruments for volume and sometimes when the lead instruments started their solo, the volume was low to start with. Sometimes the instrument could not be heard until a few bars into the solo. The sound man would not leave the mix alone.

Rusty Danmyer, I believe was on steel, dobro and slide guitar. The steel most of the time was low in the mix, The dobro had nothing but treble on it for a screeching sound out front and of course it was up in the mix. The fuzz/slide guitar was up in the mix and loud. What I could hear of the steel sounded good as far as tone.

Alan Jackson struggled getting around on stage and at one point had to sit on a stool. One could tell he was clearly struggling with his left hip and hobbled on stage and off.
Over all, he sang really well and made it through the show. A good time was had by all!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 3:56 am    

Roy, My two nephews were at the show and thoroughly enjoyed it, said that Alan sounded great!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 9:52 pm     Re: Alan Jackson in Austin

Roy Carroll wrote:
Went to see Alan Jackson in Austin last night at the Moody Center. We had very good seats right in the middle of the mid-section.
The opening act, Cole (somebody) plays at AJ's club in Nashville. 4 piece band ALL fuzz guitar and supper loud bass drum. The bass and bass drum would make you cringe when they played.

Alan's band came on the mix was certainly better. However, the soundman kept trying to adjust the lead instruments for volume and sometimes when the lead instruments started their solo, the volume was low to start with. Sometimes the instrument could not be heard until a few bars into the solo. The sound man would not leave the mix alone.

Rusty Danmyer, I believe was on steel, dobro and slide guitar. The steel most of the time was low in the mix, The dobro had nothing but treble on it for a screeching sound out front and of course it was up in the mix. The fuzz/slide guitar was up in the mix and loud. What I could hear of the steel sounded good as far as tone.

Alan Jackson struggled getting around on stage and at one point had to sit on a stool. One could tell he was clearly struggling with his left hip and hobbled on stage and off.
Over all, he sang really well and made it through the show. A good time was had by all!
Rusty now plays steel with Alan. He's been Alan's steel player since 2016. Before Rusty, Alan's steel player was Robbie Flint, who played a Derby. Rusty plays a ShowPro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 6:25 am    

Thanks Brett for the verification. The show was great overall. Rusty did a great job, the sound man did not.
Alan Jackson is a favorite of mine because he likes to keep it country. It's amazing, How much Alan Jackson sounded like himself. Very Happy Very Happy Shocked
P.S. Craig, I did not see your nephews. Shocked