The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blend wheel on Granada lap steel
Jeffrey Soble

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 7:46 am    

I recently bought this Granada and discovered the blend wheel under the bridge cover. However, as best as I can tell, all it does is act more like another volume control. Could someone please explain to me how it’s supposed to work. Is it supposed to be more like a pickup switch and it’s not working properly?

Thanks for the help.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 8:28 am    

If it's like the blend wheel on Fender guitars, it should allow you to blend the signal between both pickups. Sounds like it might need to be examined by a qualified repairman.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 8:39 am    

If it's like a Fender, and working properly, one pickup should remain on and the other pickup should get louder/quieter as you turn the blend
knob. Allows you to transition between single and humbucking pickup modes.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 10:45 am    

On a Fender that would indicate an open pickup coil . Or a bad pickup connection.

Jeffrey Soble

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 2:47 pm    

Thanks guys.

Yeah, this guitar is a clone of the Fender Deluxe 6-string Stringmaster. It’s the exact same guitar as a Jedson. Guyatone made and sold them under 3 different names, Jedson, Granada and Commodore. Funny side note…. because this one was marked Granada instead of Jedson, it was unbelievably less expensive, simply because David Gilmour bought and plays a Jedson. Even though they are literally the exact same guitar.

It appears the blend wheel is not working properly as all it’s doing is turning both pups on and off simultaneously. Definitely will have a good tech take a look.

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 7:21 am    

I had the same guitar, mine was an Aria. Made in Japan no doubt.
Aloha

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2022 1:42 pm    

As already stated, it could be a problem with the pickup that stays on all the time - in that case the pot would simply be turning on the pickup that's blended in, or the pickup that stays on all the time could be disconnected.

However, it could also be a wiring problem in the whole circuit. Is it humbucking or not? If it was, that would lead me to think this latter option. I'm not sure if the Jedson/Guyatones had the humbucking mode like the Fenders.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 5:39 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
As already stated, it could be a problem with the pickup that stays on all the time - in that case the pot would simply be turning on the pickup that's blended in, or the pickup that stays on all the time could be disconnected.

Easy to test - just tap on the pickups with a screwdriver tip to see which is active (with the volume on the amp fairly low!!!!).