The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Free 3D printable Tone Bar and Pick/Tool Holder
Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 12:38 am    

I have designed a 3D printable compact Tone Bar and pick holder that fixes on to the leg of a steel guitar without damaging the leg.

The Tone Bar holder has the capacity to hold two steels in the upright position, (two sizes of bar). The device will rotate on the leg if you follow my build instructions and it can be leveled by the use of a knurled knob. There are optional plugs to fill in the holes for the tone bars if you wish, or you could store your hex wrench in one of the bar holes. Hopefully this will help stop bars falling off the side of the guitar body and doing some damage to the guitar/pedal bar.

The good news for you, it's almost entirely free. You just need a 3D printer and some filament to print the design. You will need to purchase three M6 40mm bolts and some open ended knurled knobs.

If you would like the .STL files and instructions, please PM me and I will provide you a link to my Dropbox account where you can download the files.

SORRY< I FORGOT TO ADD THE PICTURES! Whoa!

BRGDS

Yours aye.

Charles Fosyth
Wethersfield, Essex.

Flip Brown

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 3:37 pm    

Hello Charles - thanks for your generous offer to provide the free 3-D printing files. My nephew is an ace at this new technology - he helped develop the Oculus headset for viewing virtual reality (I've got enough challenges with actual reality!). I would love the Dropbox link.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 2:08 am     Link on it's way

Hi Flip,

I have just sent you the link to the printable files.

Enjoy!

Yours aye.

Charles.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 6:14 pm    

This is cool deal. Nice.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2022 11:48 am    

Hi Jonnie, if you would like a link then please let me know.

Yours aye.

Charles.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 11:43 am    

We just got a new printer at work. PM sent.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2022 2:53 pm    

Hi Steve,

Check your PM's. Links are frequently updated and will expire after 48 hours.

Yours aye.

Charles.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2022 12:34 pm    

Well. That turned out pretty good for first try. Clamps are printing now.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 8:13 am    

Hi Steve,

Oh! that looks pretty good. Did you have much difficulty in removing the support?

I am thinking about designing a new version that requires less support and therefore faster printing. Use a grippy washer between the holder and bracket swivelling joint if you need to.

Look forward to seeing it finished., and thank you for sharing.

Yours aye,

Charles.

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 4:24 am    

Could I get the link to the printable files. I would like to use it as a class project. I teach metals manufacturing in our local high school and I'd like to use this as a project for my students. Also has anyone tried to design this bar and pic holder so that it sets up straight instead of leaning down? Is that possible?

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2022 1:51 am    

Hi Johnny,

I will PM you a link. Thank you for your interest. The link will last long enough for you to download the files.

When the holder is extended out properly and rotated to the left on the guitar leg, it can be leveled exactly (see picture). Personally I don't mind it being a little nose-down when rotated in towards the guitar. Obviously this is due to the angle of the guitar legs. I did not want too many articulating joints, those tone bars are very heavy together. The legs of the guitars are not all at the same angle, the back legs of my guitar are a different angle to the ones at the front. There is an adjustable joint that locks down at the connection of the vertical pillar, this joins the two parts together and also allows adjustment to help get the level when used in a left rotation of the tray. The bolt is not captive so glue it into the inside of the leg bracket and use a thin grippy washer between the two parts.

I am thinking about designing a new model which will likely have a logo on it to mitigate copyright fears. If the correct padding is used under the bracket, the tray can be rotated out-of-the-way under the guitar body when not in use and facilitate perfect levelling. You will just have to choose between the front and rear leg of your guitar and rotate the tray to the left to find your level.

Anyhow, watch this space!

BRGDS

Charles.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2022 2:57 am    

On the back leg!

Charles.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 11:18 am    

Charles

The base wasn't a big deal to remove. The brackets turned out good. Just need some adhesive backed felt to finish. They are slightly larger than the legs. I also changed the design slightly and added another hole 90 degrees from the other so it gives 2 axis' to adjust the tilt. Removed the pick and bar interior and now I also have a beverage holder. Thanks for your work and the files.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 11:20 am    

Charles

The base wasn't a big deal to remove. The brackets turned out good. Just need some adhesive backed felt to finish. They are slightly larger than the legs. I also changed the design slightly and added another hole 90 degrees from the other so it gives 2 axis' to adjust the tilt. Removed the pick and bar interior and now I also have a beverage holder. Thanks for your work and the files.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 11:37 am    

Hi Steve,

That looks great. Well done!

Yes, the bracket cups are slightly oversize to allow for felt and a plastic collar insert. I did not use felt that had adhesive on it, I just wrapped it around the leg of the guitar and used sticky foil tape to hold it in place.

Your whiskey glass will fit in there well!

BRGDS

Charles.

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 9:02 am    

Duplicate post removed.

Last edited by Charles Forsyth on 24 Sep 2022 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Charles Forsyth

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2022 9:02 am    

Pls NOTE, I do not have a problem with people modifying my design/files for personal use, (let me know you are proposing to do that) however, the design is protected by copyright and modification for re-distribution or personal gain is not allowed.

BRGDS

Charles.