The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mp3 players for backing tracks
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 7:22 am    

I have been playing solo gigs for many years. At first I was using Cassettes for backing tracks. Then CDs and DVDs, and finally settled on MP3 players. Apple ipods work, but itunes was not easy for me to use so I went with Mictosoft ZUNE players. The software was perfect and easy for me to create set lists etc. ZUNE is now obsolete and unsupported and my last ZUNE players are dying.

Do any of you use an MP3 player for backing tracks. A laptop computer is cumbersome so I prefer something small.

Please make suggestions, I appreciate all the wisdom and experience here on the forum.

thanks Dom

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 1:23 pm    

Dom, can't they be played on your phone? I have a Sansa mp3 and mp4 player that works ok. Checking on Amazon looks like they are still in business.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 3:11 pm    

Dom - I've been using an app on my Samsung phone called Musicolet. I use android, but there's probably an ios version. It's really comprehensive, but easy to use. Plus it's free. I've been using it for a few years and it's been great. It also saves me from having to keep track of one more piece of equipment.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 10:13 pm     micro amp heads with bluetooth or AUX inputs

I have a joyo Bantamp and an Orange Micro terror dark, both very capable 20 watt hybrid heads (hybrid because of 12ax7 pre stage). I use the Joyo w/bluetooth music from my phone to burn in speakers, meaning Alan Jackson and New Riders albums over and over ...

The Micro terror dark does NOT have a way to pipe in MP3s but their other model, the Micro terror in white case, does. Worth a look, under $150 used

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2022 5:01 am    

I have used an app called on song on an iPad to do solo gigs. You create set lists with the backing track and the lyrics and chords scroll in time with the music. A bit of a learning curve but works extremely well once you get it going.

If you just want to play backing tracks either Anytune or Amazing Slow Downer playing on your phone should work.

Last edited by Doug Taylor on 8 Sep 2022 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2022 9:15 am    

You can cancel my recommendation for On Song, looks like they have gone to a subscription model, very disappointing IMO. I tried to reload the editor and won't let me use it without paying. I bought the app 3 or 4 years ago.

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2022 11:38 pm    

I use Lyricpad3 on a Samsung Android Tablet.
It Works great!
I's only about $8.00 Aus.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 7:06 am    

I looked into this same question just a week or two ago and found an app for Android phones called BackTrack by techhelptutoring. You have to search it by both name and the co. to find it, and you will be warned it is made for an earlier version of Android - but it works fine on my updated Android phone.

This app is designed specifically for musicians. After each song, it queues then next song in the playlist but waits until you hit the button to start. It is very easy to create and rearrange playlists. Simple and easy - and perfect to the task.