The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Book
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 9:14 am    

I have yet to begin to read it in earnest but I have dipped into it.

I'm taken aback by the personal glimpses of Buddy himself. Thanks to Steve's skill, the famous and well-loved Emmons personality comes alive on every page through quotes and anecdotes.

It's a reminder, if one were needed, of how much we all miss him.

I already know that this is a masterwork. In my music library, it will rank up there with Peter Guralnick's superb 2-volume biography on Elvis Presley.

I wish the Big E was here to see this project completed. Thank you, Fish, from everyone who ever loved the steel guitar.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 10:19 am    

Just received my copy today and put it in the queue. Thanks, Fish!

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 12:06 pm    

Received my copy yesterday and I'm about halfway through. Fascinating insights into the life of a legendary player. Well done, Mr. Fishell!

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 1:12 pm    

I started reading this yesterday! I love reading musician stories and this book is exceptional!

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 1:41 pm     Buddies book

I have ordered my copy.
Sam.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 11:38 am     Not a choice for the ordinary player

First off I loved the book you took the most prominent recording sessions like Someday Soon and did the appropriate interviews. My take on the book was that he really gave up any semblance of a normal steel life by being driven by an incredible work ethic There were no resting laurels with Buddy. I do not know anybody ever who practiced with the fierce devotion that he did. I wished the book could have been longer mostly because you wrote it so well!!!! Thank you for a really fine book...

Tom Vollmer

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 8:09 am     Old Memories

Reading the book brings back old memories of when E T or Ray Price or Geo Jones would be at a HillBilly Park or Carnival or Fair in driving distance and we would go to see Buddy or Jimmy Day and talk to them on break. Sunset Park Pa. had E T with Emmons one year and the next year was Bud Charlton rest of the band Leon Rhodes, Jack Greene, Jack Drake and Cal Smith Also Ray Price band had at times Buddy, Jimmy D, Willie Nelson,Roger Miller. Buddy Spiecher, Darrei Mc Calland all would be available to talk to.I am 86 now and am thankful to have been around those great players in the early Pedal Steel Days. Also remember playing my Fender 1000 and first time I saw and Played an Emmons almost knocked me off my seat and had to have one but that is another story,
Got my first Emmos Guitar in 1967/8 Great Book!!!

Michael Bate

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 4:32 am    

Steve Fishell’s terrific book on Buddy Emmons reminded me of the time Buddy inadvertently landed me an interview with one of my all-time favourite bands.
Back in the mid-seventies, when I was a rookie steel player and host of a music/interview show on CBC-Radio in Ottawa, I drove to Nashville to record interviews with some of my musical heroes.
It’s been nearly 50 years, and I still remember Buddy’s kindness and patience with a greenhorn Canadian who was tongue-tied in his presence. 

Before he returned to his session, I asked Buddy what music he’d been listening to lately. 

“The Amazing Rhythm Aces,” he said. “The End is Not in Sight.” “Love that song!”
The next day I’m on the road to Memphis, hoping to score an interview with the Aces, who were recording their third album at Sam Phillips Studio.
But their publicist hadn’t hooked me up and a couple of the guys in the band seemed uncomfortable with an outsider lurking around during their session.

Just as it looked like it was all going sideways, I pulled out my Sony cassette recorder and played Buddy’s comment. 

I wish I’d taken a photo of the big grins on their faces, and of the moment where Byrd Burton, the Aces’ guitarist/steel player/producer, grabbed the Sony, planted a big kiss on the speaker and said, “The Big E!”
Turned out to be an unforgettable night, and I always think of Buddy when I hear that song.

Guess I knew it all along
I'd have to come back home
'Cause this living on the road
Only makes me tired and sore
Like a bird without a nest
Like a stranger in the night
And my soul cries out for rest
And the end is not in sight

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 4:44 am    

Great story Michael, I love the aces and that son is one of their best along with 'King of the Cowboys'

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 1:41 pm    

I'm about to read it again.

Steve's splendid book brings him back to life for me.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 1:49 pm    

One great thing about Fish's book is that, if you've ever been fortunate enough to be in situations where you were around Buddy when he didn't feel he HAD to be "THE Buddy Emmons" and was comfortable and relaxed, the stories really come alive because you can visualize him saying the things you're reading.

Really makes the book come alive. Thanks, Fish.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Fish

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 8:34 am    

Many, many thanks for everyone's supportive comments about Buddy Emmons: Steel Guitar Icon.

While writing it I was keenly aware that the steel guitar world is a "tough room." Flame-throwing has been known to happen on these pages from time to time, so I did my best to get it right. Mainly I did this for Buddy, but I'm happy to see it has been well-received by the community too.

Herb, thanks for your kind words about the conversational nature of Buddy's interviews. I found I could get him to relax and forget the recorder while having lunch and drinks at his favorite lunch establishment, O'Charley's in Hermitage. I'll never forget those moments.

For anyone looking for a stocking-stuffer idea, the book is 50% OFF until December 31st at the publisher's website with this promo code: HOLIDAY22 That's half off kids! If you want to own a hard cover copy, this is the time to order one. This rate is lower than my own "author" discount.

Click here: https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/?id=p086786 then enter the promo code: HOLIDAY22

Thanks again everyone!