The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to change how a volume pedal comes on
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2022 8:39 am    

A person can change--how a volume pedal comes on---without alteration to the pedal. It works with active volume pedals, and even the old pot pedals. Let me explain: All volume pedals are voltage dividers that divide the voltage that comes in on the input. That input voltage has little to do with "sound", and what we hear, until that voltage goes in an amplifier. The amount of sound coming from the amplifier depends on the amount of voltage sent from the pedal, and the volume level set on the amplifier.
Example: Suppose your volume pedal is pushed down to a point where you get half of the input voltage. Then suppose your amplifier volume is set on 3. The resulting volume you hear then would be 1.5, or half of the 3. Now---suppose your amplifier volume was set on 6, and your volume pedal is still pushed down to a point where you get half of the input voltage. The resulting volume you hear then would be 3, or half of the volume level 6 set on the amplifier. So at the half way point of your volume pedal, twice the volume is coming out when the volume level of the amp is turned up. If you consider the movement of the pedal from off, to the point where you get half of the input voltage, much more volume is heard "all along" the movement of the pedal when the amp is set on 6 rather than 3. So how the pedal comes on relating to sound is dependent on the volume of the amp. If using a old pot pedal the half way point--where half of the input voltage is obtained---- would be different for logarithmic versus linear pots. Half way is when half of the input voltage is being put out.
Most people don't realize this. Why? Because most people simply set their amp at a volume level they are used to. There is no consideration of how the pedal comes on in relation to the movement of the pedal.
The above explanation works for any pedal. But-----Active pedals can change how the pedal comes on by increasing, or decreasing, how the pedal outputs the input voltage. For example: The Hilton pedal has a off point control which will raise or lower the output voltage sent out. The Telonics pedal does the "exact same thing", but changes the output voltage sent out with 7 programmed settings. With the Hilton pedal you simply turn a small adjustment to change the output voltage, and with the Telonics pedal the output voltage is changed with 7 fixed programmed settings.
Even if you are using an old pot pedal, you too can change how the volume comes on.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 5:21 pm    

Keith, interesting lesson on volume. I see how it works using simple math. Thanks.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 4:13 am    

One of the best things I have read in a while.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:47 am    

Keith, thanks for the info. This sure helped me understand how to set up my pedal better.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 8:51 am    

Excellent Keith!

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 10:15 am    

Electronics can seem complex, but no matter how complex the circuit, everything boils down to voltage and current. If the circuit is digital or analog, it eventually all boils down to voltage and current.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2022 10:15 am    

Electronics can seem complex, but no matter how complex the circuit, everything boils down to voltage and current. If the circuit is digital or analog, it eventually all boils down to voltage and current.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 8:58 am    

Thanks, Keith, this is great info! I had thought about the "off-point" control only in terms of adjusting where the sound is completely off. If I understand correctly, adjusting the off-point (Hilton pedal) and amp volume can change the pedal response dynamics. Can't wait to experiment with it.