The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Mullen G2
Rodney Ramsey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 8:50 am    

I recently bought a new Mullen G2 double 10. Had played an MSA classic since 1975 with many bands. Having a horrible time getting used to the pedals on this baby. I expected the because of different/added lever and change in functions, I would have to work a lot to get used to, and enjoy, that. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 9:11 am    

Don't know if it's relevant, but I went from a GFI student model to a Mullen Royal Precision, and the RP pedal spacing was 1/8" wider -- enough to require a re-calibration of my feet which took some time.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 10:23 am    

When I got my new G2, I was coming from old SB's and Emmones, and the super light touch of the Mullen pedals were crazy making. 😳
Removing the raise assist springs and setting the pulls on the A pedal for a stiffer pull helped me. Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but...

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 2:53 pm    

Dave Meis wrote:
When I got my new G2, I was coming from old SB's and Emmones, and the super light touch of the Mullen pedals were crazy making. 😳

That's interesting...for me the light touch is exactly why I chose a G2. In fact when I changed the copedent I re-rodded it to the bellcrank and changer positions to make the touch even lighter. I guess it just shows what a versatile instrument the G2 is Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 3:02 pm    

True that! I was used to resting my feet on the pedals, and wondering why it didn’t sound in tune! 🤣

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 3:24 pm    

Hey Rodney. I guess it doesn't matter how the rest of us took to Mullen guitars....only how it feels to you. I would expect it's just a matter of getting used to the guitar dimensions and pedal feel.

FWIW, I played several guitars before getting my first Mullen. Most recent being an Emmons p/p and a Sierra Crown Uni. I didn't notice any obstacles getting acclimated to the Mullen pedals or guitar in general.

Having said that, we are all different. Unless there is some issue with this particular guitar, I would suggest you give it some time. If it turns out it's not for you, then that's what it is. Best of Luck.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 4:59 pm    

Dave Meis wrote:
True that! I was used to resting my feet on the pedals, and wondering why it didn’t sound in tune! 🤣

Exactly! I'll be playing chords and hit a real sour one only to realize I was resting my foot on a pedal too early getting ready for the next change Laughing

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 5:22 pm    

Mullen guitars do play really easy. Some people like that and some don’t. Just a matter of where rods are on bell cranks. I play a pre RP and it’s pedals are just perfect for me but I play my push pull some also and doesn’t bother me to change guitars. I have trouble with Legrand pedals.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2022 5:53 pm    

I have several pedal steels of various makers including a Mullen D10 8x4 pre RP. They are all different and it took me a while to adjust to the differences but it will come naturally faster than you think. I stopped resting my foot on the pedals for the same reason.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:14 am    

I think you'll get used to it.

I went from an old not-too-well adjusted ZB Custom to a new Mullen RP and boy, what a difference.

At first it felt like I was gonna break it, but after a while, you can get used to using a lighter but snappier motion with the foot. You can just work the pedals that much faster when you need it. It sounded fantastic too.

Someday I'll get another Mullen...

Rodney Ramsey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:56 pm     New Mullen G2

Success! The office chair pad I had put on the carpet (plastic office chair type pad) and set the new steel on, was giving oh so slightly I didn t realize. Someone pvivately suggested getting couple furniture type coasters with some width and put the front two legs on it. I did it today and it was the problem! They feel great now and I could not get off it for two hours.! Thanks!