The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker Choices For PSG
Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 4:54 pm    

I Realize That Sound Preference Is Subjective. However, All Of My Peavey Amps Have One 4 ohm 15" BW Speaker In Them. I Am Having Some Speaker Problems. Peavey Is No Longer Offering Speaker Parts. What Other Brand Of 4 ohm 15" Speaker Would Be The Best To Replace The Black Widow? Also, Which Gives A PSG The Best Sound: One 15" Or Two 12" Speakers. Thanks For Any Help With My Questions.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 7:19 pm    

Vann, what problems are you having with the speaker? Many prefer the 15 inch speaker, myself included. The modern Steel speaker of choice is the Eminence TT or the Telonics 15. Of course it's subjective and some may like a few others. Incidentally I do have a couple old Fender Twin Reverbs and the new Tonemaster Twin reverb. I still prefer the old Twins but speaker differences may be the reason.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 9:01 pm    

A single 15 is probably more common for PSG, but there are a number of steeler, including Paul Franklin, that prefer a 12 or two.

Switching a Peavey combo amp made for a single 15 to 2x12 is a fairly involved process. You'll need a new baffle to start. It would be much simpler to stick to the 15.

If I was buying a single 15, 4 ohm, I'd be looking strongly at the Eminence Travis Toy TT15. But I haven't tried one. It is a fairly new design and hopefully has been tuned more precisely for steel guitar.

I did try the Eminence EPS15C as well as the Telonics TSNEO-15 and I didn't like either of them. Others have said good things about both of those speakers. These are both neo speakers that were designed a good while ago.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 11:38 pm    

The Telonics TSNEO-15 is made by Eminence, I believe.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 8:34 pm    

Eminence makes a light weight 15"speaker EPS-15C which is a 4 ohm. They suggest it be front mounted.

I have 1, Put it in a 1/2" Birch Plywood cabinet and power it with a Quilter Tone Block 202. Gives my S12 good sound and tone on all strings. It weighs 21 lb. in cabinet.

I have considered putting an EPS-15C in a Peavey Nashville 400, To make it lighter.