The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 500 keeps burning fuse
Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 10:23 am    

Hello,
My Peavey Session 500 made a loud "bzzzt!" noise and went dead. It was a burned fuse. I replaced the fuse with a new, 8A 250V fuse. Immediately after I turned it on, again "bzzzt!," went dead and the fuse burned again.

Anyone know what it could be?

I hope it's an easy fix I can do myself because I don't want to take it to tech at this time since I got a few other steel amps, including another Session 500. Sure is a great sounding amp, though.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 1:45 pm    

That amp's probably 40 years old. I suspect that most of the electrolytic caps (especially the ones in the power supply) are bad, or going bad. That would cause what you describe, as would a shorted output transistor. Whatever it is, unless you have some experience working on amplifiers, I'd suggest you have a tech troubleshoot and fix it, as other components could also have been damaged.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 2:28 pm    

Thanks, Donny,
I can do basic soldering of wires but don't have any clue how to replace the components you mentioned. You're right that it's best to take it to a qualified tech, which I may do at some point (Don't want to spend the $ right now.)

The good news is that I can still use the broken Session 500 as a speaker cabinet for a Peavey Road Master head that needs a cabinet. The Road Master head fits perfectly on top of the Session 500 and it has 6 big power tubes and built-in fan.