The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Information about Wade Hayes
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 5:51 am    

Anyone know anything about him today. Is he still in Nashville?
Is he still working on the road? He is a fellow Okie out of Bethany, OK. (OKC). He is not a Steel Picker but a Monster guitar picker. A great performer. Saw him many years ago in downtown Nashville at I think the Palace. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Had a Steel Picker with him and I do not remember his name but hotter than anything I had ever seen.It was an awesome concert. Thanks, J.R. Rose

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 6:14 am    

I confess that I'd forgotten Wade.

I had his CD when I first came here; one of the tracks must have caught my ear on the radio.

Another forgotten man? The business is littered with them. Some great singers, too, like Joe Diffie to name just one.

I'll dig out that CD and remind myself of his work. I had no idea he was a guitar-player of note.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 6:40 am     wade hayes

JR
HE IS PLAYING IN IOWA SEPT 2 2022
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=378419

P.W

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 6:56 am    

He was recently here in Florida at the Orange Blossom Opry (Weirsdale Fl).

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 7:17 am    

I see Wade on the local jamboree show that airs from Owensboro.

I once had the pleasure of playing with him when he was touring with Johnny Lee. This was way before he had a record deal. He was a super nice guy and a monster picker as stated.

He nearly died several years ago from cancer but fortunately survived. Great guy, great musician, singer with a lot of good songs. The real deal.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 1:42 pm    

Here's a good video of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ZG3NyWC1A

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2022 10:30 pm     Re: Information about Wade Hayes

J R Rose wrote:
Anyone know anything about him today. Is he still in Nashville?
Is he still working on the road? He is a fellow Okie out of Bethany, OK. (OKC). He is not a Steel Picker but a Monster guitar picker. A great performer. Saw him many years ago in downtown Nashville at I think the Palace. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Had a Steel Picker with him and I do not remember his name but hotter than anything I had ever seen.It was an awesome concert. Thanks, J.R. Rose

The steel player you saw with Wade was Eddie Gossien, who had once played steel with Mel McDaniel. Eddie had been Wade's steel player for a few years, and in 2000, he started playing steel with Darryl Worley. Eddie played in Darryl's band for five years. Eddie's been seen in a few of Wade's music videos where Wade featured his band. Eddie plays Marrs and Emmons steels. When he worked with Darryl, he played a white Emmons and also a white Fessenden-the white Fessenden came around '03. A blue Marrs is seen in Darryl's second video, "A Good Day To Run"

Last edited by Brett Day on 14 Sep 2022 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 2:22 pm    

Thanks To All You Guys. Yes Brett, that was the name. Played the fire out of his Steel. And I am very glad that he is doing some shows here and there. Will try and catch him some where close here. And it was good to here a remark about Darrell. Saw him back years ago and he was on the way up and then had some kind vocal problem. He was a good artist. Thanks Again, J.R.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 2:29 pm    

Thanks to all again but Norman that is a good link. Don't get any better. Only if it was the Chief. J.R.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 2:34 pm    

Yes Roger, Dig out that old CD. Pay attention to Tele Picker. You will like. Lets us know what you think. J.R.

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 3:23 pm    

I worked a couple of shows with him this year in NC .he’s a great guy and still a monster player .
Dale

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2022 6:39 pm    

Wade seems to be fairly busy these days. He is an amazing guitar player and still has a great voice. He loves steel guitar and is easy to work with. I last saw him when his dad passed away in April of 2020. I played with his dad at his annual Don Hayes Friends Days in Bethel Acres, Oklahoma for the last several years and Wade would play when his schedule allowed. Don was a popular singer in this area in the late '70's and '80's. I first saw Wade play with him when he was around 12 years old. There's something in the water in Bethel Acres because along with Wade, Steve Story and Jamie Richards grew up there as well.

In 2010, the local PBS station here did a short documentary on Don, and Wade was able to be here that year. It was very well produced as they inter-wove live audio with Wade's recorded audio. The producer knew the music and what parts the instruments played, and the video is one of the best I've seen when it comes to accurately editing both audio and video. Looking closely at Wade's live guitar playing it is very close to his studio work.

If you have a few minutes, check out the video:

https://videos.oeta.tv/video/oeta-gallery-s-way-love-goes/

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 5:37 am    

Wow Kenny; that is an incredible video of the Hayes family sharing of Life and music. Thanks.
Ricky

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 6:00 am    

Hey Kenny, Thanks so much for the clip, I enjoyed that very much. And Thanks for correcting me about where Wade is from. I knew he was from Bethel Acres but I guess I had a Senior Moment when I wrote my first post and said he was from Bethany. I love the ease that Wade has singing and picking. It just comes natural. Thanks Again, J.R.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2022 1:27 pm    

Glad you guys liked the clip. I thought it was well done. The only live music on the video that I played was the bandstand "That's the Way Love Goes", "Mental Revenge" and "She's Acting Single." I got a kick out of them doing a split screen showing an out-of-context shot of me on one side and the video steel player on the other during the steel break on "Old Enough to Know Better."

Unfortunately, since Don's passing we haven't had a Friends Day show.

R Crow

Hectorville, OK USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2022 12:57 pm    

Mike McGee played with Wade in Cedar Falls, 9/2/22, and fine job he did too. He followed that up backing Ron & Leona Williams. A very good show by all.

Rick

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 12:28 pm    

Thank you Kenny for that great video.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 4:05 pm    

We saw Wade a year or so ago at the Orange Blossom Opry. We opened a show for him in Lumberton N.C. when he first got started. He was great then and he still is. He's been through a bunch of health issues over the years. Doctors gave him a 5% chance of survival and he beat the odds
His Faith and determination got him through. Look him up on the internet, he's has a song, "Go Live Your Life" that was inspired by his doctor.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2022 4:30 pm    

He also wrote a tune called Is It Already Time, in regard to his cancer diagnosis and prognosis. Fortunately, he beat it and has been a survivor for several years.

https://youtu.be/IWbH45zKYtY

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 8:27 pm    

Wow............what a powerful song, sang great, by a great singer.